Chapter 13 - The Ether

"Jason?" Reyneld Bladesworn whispered, "What are you doing here?!"

Jason stared blankly at his father before finally asking, "Am I dead? Is this the Ether?!"

"No," Reyneld said, "You're not dead. You're in the 'in-between', like me. You are neither dead nor alive currently. Look at me, Jason. I live and breathe... I exist. Feel my heartbeat."

Reyneld spread his arms wide as Jason stepped forward tentatively, stopping a step away from the other man. He brought his hand up slowly, hesitantly, and touched the warrior's chest gently, as if afraid that if he pressed too hard, Reyneld would float away. Reyneld's chest was slightly warm and rose and fell with every breath.

"Then... Why are you here? Shouldn't you be in the Ether... father?" Jason asked.

Reyneld sighed, "My mortal body was killed and I was trapped here. It was foolish of me to trust that lying snake Garyth about matters of the Ether... Remember this, Jason: If your tether to Dargon is severed, you will remain here forever."

As they stood, the ground beneath them shifted, morphing from a peaceful golden field to a dimly lit stone manor. The floor beneath them was beautiful polished marble and peering out the window, Jason saw that it was nighttime. A large chandelier dominated the centre of the room and an orchestra played soft tones into the night, as people in ornate ballgowns and the finest suits danced around. As he stood there, a couple danced closer to them and Jason backed away, only to bump into Reyneld and watch in both fascination and horror as the couple danced through them like they weren't there.

As Jason peered around fearfully, he asked, "What's going on?! Where are we?"

Reyneld was silent for a moment, then he answered in a voice thick with emotion.

"This is the Ether's punishment for those of us stuck in the 'in-between'... Your worst memory—the one that you've buried so deeply within you—will become your neverending nightmare," Reyneld explained in a heavy voice.

He brushed his hair back and gave a strange laugh, "Imagine that, Jason! I cannot even properly mourn the loss of my son because the Ether has taken my memory of him and tainted it! Everyday I watch him die!"

Jason stayed silent, unsure of how or what to say to comfort the former guardian. Reyneld shut his eyes and breathed deeply, regaining his composure. Jason looked around, taking more details of the room they stood in. The whole scene was so eerie yet peaceful that it felt strangely disjointed.

At that moment, the glass windows to the manor all shattered and chaos ensued. Jason watched horror struck as crimson demons slinked in from the windows and massacred the ball goers. The party descended to mayhem and screaming as the terrified people tried to flee, only to be cut down. The once beautiful suits and dresses were dyed rusty red and the once lively figures lay in twisted, crumpled heaps.

<--<< >>-->

Reyneld could do nothing but watch in despair as the worst moment in his life was replayed before his eyes. His heart throbbed as he knew what was to come, but was powerless to stop it. Just like every rerun, he looked to the staircase to see his beloved son crouched in the uniform of a servant boy. He'd been forbidden to attend the ball, so he'd snuck out.

As the boy saw the coast was clear, he jumped up and ran towards Reyneld, tears welling in his eyes. Reyneld stood rooted on the spot, a rush of renewed agony filling him as he watched as a demon appeared behind the boy, who noticed nothing.

Jemery! Run! He tried to yell, but no sound passed his lips.

Everything slowed, like he was underwater, as the demon swung its axe at the boy. The sickening crunch was amplified in Reyneld's ears and Jemery collapsed like a ragdoll. Maybe he screamed, maybe he cried. All the sound was blocked except for Jem's last cry. That day, something broke in Reyneld and every time he was forced to watch his son die again, another piece inside him withered away.

<--<< >>-->

The dark interior of the building stank. Dried blood stained the floor and walls rusty red. The previously magnificent chandelier lay broken, crushed in the centre of the room. Broken glass was scattered everywhere. Jason stood rooted on the spot, his heart racing, as he processed the scene before him.

He shakily looked at Reyneld and asked, "F-Father, what just... happened?! Who was that child?"

The man who'd looked so strong previously looked smaller and more frail than ever.

"It's not exactly easy to talk about. I thought it would get easier with time... but you still deserve to know. That was your elder brother, Jemery Bladesworn," Reyneld whispered, "He died on his tenth birthday."

A few moments passed in silence, then the scene began to fade. As Reyneld watched the bodies dissipate and the walls fade away and the ground sprout golden wheat, his head jerked up and his eyes met Jason's, a strange light of panic within them.

Reyneld grabbed Jason by the shoulders and said quickly, "Jason, you need to leave here before the Ether takes your memories too! How did you get here?!"

Jason paused, then sheepishly said, "Uh, I got hit over the head with a club..."

Reyneld said, "Use a levitation spell... you need to go straight up through the Ether roof and into the Etherian tunnels. There, go the opposite direction of the light and the pull!"

Jason nodded, feeling a sense of urgency from the former guardian.

"Aire!" He said, citing the simplest levitation spell.

Nothing happened.

Jason frowned, a small seed of doubt beginning to form.

"Aire!" He said again, and for good measure, "Aire au raas!"

Again, there was nothing. The relaxing flow of wind under his soles was nowhere to be seen or felt.

Beginning to despair, he turned to Reyneld and asked, "Why isn't it working?! I'm certain I've said it correctly..."

Reyneld's face was the picture of confusion for a moment, then it morphed into horror and he quickly asked if it felt like there was something blocking Jason's access to the mana flow from his mortal body. Jason thought about it for a moment, then nodded and saw Reyneld's face drop. Upon seeing Jason's face, Reyneld hastily explained, "If you can't use magic, that means that either your mortal has been killed or... possession."

Jason felt a surge of panic well up within him as he cried, "Does that mean I'll be stuck here?!"

Reyneld's silence was hardly reassuring.

<--<< >>-->

Please vote and comment if you enjoyed this so far!