Curious Little Insights

NOTE: This is a world-building chapter - of small things that might not make it into the story but are fun to know anyway! But since it is the fourth anniversary of TEK (When I first started writing the trilogy), I figured it would be nice to add some extra stuff for those of you interested...

CURRENCY

Most of the kingdoms on Dargon use the same currency - with the exception of the druids who are pretty isolated.

The denominations go from smallest to largest: Bronze Brynu(s), Silver Segun(s), Gold Gylin(s) and Iron Damaii.

1 segun is worth 36 brynus, 1 gylin is worth 15 seguns and 1 damaii is worth 27 gylins.

Iron damaii are few and far between and usually only the high nobility are in possession of them. Most peasants will never have seen more than seguns in their lifetime.

GLOSSARY

Ignu bird - A fantastical bird whose meat has the unique property of being inedible if cooked with other meats, but delectable if eaten alone.

Grysan - A cat-like creature with bat-like wings that eats souls. They are known for their intelligence and ability to return a 'clean' soul to a mortal. Criminals are often sent to a grysan before they are released, to ensure they start a new life as a good citizen.

Lastmeal - A small meal eaten around midnight.

Cadis - Tall and lanky humanoid monsters with horns and large, clawed hands and animalistic feet. Ranked among the Arysi, higher tier, dangerous monsters.

Arysi - A classification for monsters in the Abyss who dwell near the center, and are disastrously dangerous to the mortals of the overworld (Dargon)

Debui - A classification for monsters in the Abyss who dwell near the edge, and are relatively harmless, but more prone to entering Dargon via portals that spawn randomly. 

RELIGION

The mortals of Dargon typically worship Pelos, Gialan or Aeliyas, the founding gods of the world. Over time, the natures of the gods have been shifted, but here's some information about them:

The Founding Father: Haert, god of chaos and creation. He was born into the void and created his daughter from his tears. (According to a popular elven folk song detailing the creation of the world.) He spends most of his time in isolation so his power does not run out of control and destroy everything and everyone.

The Mother: Nutaku, goddess of nature. Haert's daughter and mother of the three most powerful gods besides her and her father, Aeliyas, her daughter, Pelos, the eldest son, and Gialan, the youngest son.

The Lord of Archangels: Pelos, god of the soul. Son of Nutaku, father to the god of storms and the twin god and goddess of love. His power can kill any mortal immediately and permanently wound gods. He feels great love for all of his creations on Dargon.

The Warrior Queen: Aeliyas, goddess of balance. Daughter of Nutaku, mother to the elemental gods. Her personality is directly connected to the lives of mortals.

The Reaper of War: Gialan, god of time. Youngest son of Nutaku and father to the god of death. He was originally born powerless, but his grandfather, Haert, gifted him the powers of time. He led a long, bloody life fighting on battlefields until a quarrel with his brother, Pelos, cost him his sword arm and left him with scars disfiguring his face and torso. He now fights as well with his left hand as his right. 

*Some information about the gods will be withheld for spoiler reasons! Also, there are many more gods than just these, but these are the main gods - the founding gods.

AGES

Age of Mortals - When the first guardians were gifted by the archangels.

Age of Gods - When mortals began to worship the gods. 

Age of Kings - When the first six kings of the five kingdoms rose to power.

Golden Age - The 50 years of relative peace after the Demon War 50 ADW (After Demon War)

NAMING

A mortal is given a name by their parents at birth. For elves, they change names once when they come of age, although most other races keep the one they were born with.

Everyone has two middle names, and a familial last name. The middle names are the names of the grandparent and parent in the same gender as the person.

Say we use Lirya as an example: Her middle names will be of her mother and grandmother, so 'Lirya Aylusa Elena Throeyns' and her last name is the family name. In the case of marriage, the lower ranked spouse will take the name of the higher ranking family. Once again using Lirya as an example, if she were to marry into the Ravenstorm house, her name would be 'Lirya Aylusa Elena Throeyns-Ravenstorm'. Given the complexity of the middle names, most people choose to omit them when introducing themselves in an informal setting.

<--<< >>-->

That's it for the extra segment - I hope you enjoyed this! Let me know if you want to see more stuff like this - my thoughts when planning or more detailed history of the worlds, more about the gods, the kings, the archangels...

Lastly, PLEASE leave a vote if you enjoyed this! As a reader, I do know how scary it is to transition from being a 'silent reader' to being someone the author knows is reading their story, but it means so much to me when I see that someone enjoyed reading what I wrote.

*The image is of Lirya, with her fist raised in triumph that I managed to write more than 4 chapters on her story. Also, it's thanks to anonymous K, though he will never read this, that I got further and finished 1, then 2 books!

DISCLAIMER: Any examples used in this is not canon

August 25th 2022