Chapter 17: still into you

Luke's POV:
"Come on Julie, pick up your phone" I groan, dialing her over and over again.

"She's probably fine. I mean she knows her way around LA" Bailee comments.

"Her stuff is in my car! I don't know what could happen to her. What if her phone is dead?"

"So, she'll be fine. Wasn't this just like a cheap hookup anyway?" Bailee says.

"No it wasn't Bailee. Actually, I would like you to go and never ever talk about Julie like that"

"Gosh, aren't we mighty sensitive" she says, holding up her hands in defense.

"Do you realize how much you've messed up? Julie and I were happy before I met you. We were good together and everything was perfect. You messed that up. We tried to be friends and now you've messed that up!"

"Luke. I have some news for you. I didn't mess anything up. That girl still loves you, you can see it in her eyes. Besides, y'all aren't just friends. Just Friends aren't in love and just friends don't sleep together"

"You think she loves me?" I say, baffled.

"Think? I know. Here's what I'll do, I'm sure since she ran out that she doesn't want to see you. I'll drive and find her, make sure she's safe. Then you can take it from there" Bailee says, jumping off my counter.

"Thanks Bailee" I say, clutching my phone down.

"No prob" she says, walking out the door.

I throw myself on the couch, waiting for Julie to come back.

Julie's POV:
I'm walking for what feels like hours, my legs spike with pain every time I walk and I have no idea where I'm going. Right now, I'm just looking for his car. Maybe I can gather my things and find some of my dignity. Or maybe even find the person who doesn't sleep with guys who have girlfriends.

"Need a Ride?" Someone asks, pulling up beside me. When I look in the car, it's none other than Bailee herself.

"I'd rather die walking" I growl and continue on. She follows until I stop again, my legs aching with that same pain.

"Please Julie. You're too far away from your house. Just get in and I'll make sure you get home. No attacks or anything, I swear. I promise" Bailee says. I look at her and back at me. I'm walking around in my dress from last night and I probably look like a hot mess.

"Fine" I grumble, reluctantly getting in the car. We drive in silence and she pulls up to Luke's abandoned car. Until now, I didn't realize how far we'd actually ran. It felt so fast, it felt like we needed each other. It was so urgent.

I open the car, gathering my phone and thinking about last night. I get back in the car and she starts driving again.

"Julie, I wanna say that I'm really sorry about everything. I mean I was like a total bitch. I'm not always like that, I swear"

"thanks Bailee. Im sorry for my behavior too. I just- I don't know. This whole year has been totally different then I've ever experienced" I say, look at my hands in my lap.

"I bet. I couldn't imagine the pressure of everything. Your sister and the soon-to-be king. Not to mention dating a royal on your own. Im sorry for any pressure I added. If you want, I'd like us to be friends. What do you think, fresh start?"

"I'd love to be friends" I say, a smile creeping on my face.

"Since I'm your friend. I think it's right for me to tell you that it was all me. I came onto Luke. He was waiting there for you, not me. I'm so sorry. I don't know what the hell i was thinking and I know it messed everything up"

"Thank you for being honest. Maybe that's what we needed, I don't know. It felt weird, being with him. It was exciting and fun and I felt so so loved but it was also new and scary and unfamiliar"

"That doesn't mean it wasn't right Julie. Y'all are in love. Love is messy and complicated and crazy and scary as hell. That's what makes it worth it" She says, turning into some house I don't know.

"Where are we?" I ask, confused.

"If your parents see you like this, they'll surely be pissed. You can shower and stuff here and feel free to borrow any of my clothes" She says, getting out.

Maybe she isn't that bad.

I shower and find some clothes. Something simple, just jeans short and a top.

I join Bailee downstairs where she's watching Stranger Things.

"Thanks Bailee, I feel so much better" I say, sitting beside her.

"No problem. I really think you should talk to Luke"

"I will, I promise. But I need to check on my family and stuff before I do. Just let them know I'm not dead"

"Good idea, I'll drive you... well in a moment. We can at least finish this episode. Besides your phone is charging over there" she says, tossing the blanket at me.

I guess she really isn't that bad..

Luke's pov
"What do you mean she left?" Alex says over the phone.

"I mean she left. She pulled on her dress and grabbed her shoes and left. Bailee went to find her"

"And you haven't heard anything since?" He ask

"Nope" I say, flopping onto my bed.

"Maybe she killed Bailee, Julie I mean" Reggie says

"Oww!" Reggie says again, groaning in pain.

"That wasn't helpful Dude" Alex says.

"Guys what do I do?" I say, annoyed. I just want Julie back. I want her in my arms and in my home and with me, nowhere else.

I know this has been crazy and hard and complicated. But aren't all the best love stories?

I think we at least owe it to ourselves to try and work.

"LUCASSSS" my phone shouts, the boys voices overlapping.

"Hey hey, I'm here. Sorry"

"We thought we lost you. I think you need to be honest with her. Tell her how you feel, all of it."

"Maybe I should come home for a little bit. Father my senses, I can't do it here. LA is a lot to take in, especially without her. I already have a ticket" I say, thinking to the castle. The safety and solitude I've known for so long.

"It's not up to us, it's up to you"