S2E4 ❂ Abomination ❂

:•:•:•:

:•:•:•:

"They're coming back, so we don't have much time to talk," Deaton tells Scott and I as he digs through his medicine cabinet to get us some antiseptic. "You two will heal the same, just not as quickly because of Derek."

"Okay, how do you know all this?" Scott asks. "Actually, how do you know anything?"

"It's a longer story. What I can tell you is that I know about your kind. Your kind? I can help. This?" He looks over at the dead man with massive gash marks on his abdomen, who's lying on the exam table. "This is something different."

"Do you know what did it? You've got to have some idea," I say.

"No, but the Argents will. And this is the crucial part—they'll have a record or book, it'll have descriptions, histories, notations, of all the things that they've discovered."

"All the things? How many different things are there?" Scott asks.

While Deaton cleans Scott's wounds and talks to him, I walk over to the body and look at it. Deep claw marks stretch across the man's torso. I study his face and recognize him. He's one of Argent's hunters. There are small blood stains on the back of his neck, so I turn his head slightly to the left with a crack of his neck bones, to see a small, precise cut.

This cut was done purposefully. Whatever did this must've cut him here first, which would affect the man's spinal cord and, most likely, parts of his nervous system as well. After that was done, it proceeded to slash his abdomen.

I shift my gaze to the abdomen next and study the claw marks. Five marks for each finger. Using a pair of forceps, I pull one of the deeper wounds apart and study how deep it is. It eviscerated the lungs and several of the ribs are sliced through. It appears he died of asphyxiation and exsanguination.

No werewolf could do this. This is no supernatural being that I've ever even heard of or seen. I step back to look at the big picture. It's both terrifying and somewhat amazing that something in our world is capable of such things.

"Whatever made this cut," Deaton points to the precise one on the back of the neck, "it's laced with a paralytic toxin potent enough to disable all motor functions."

"So it paralyzed the man before slashing his lungs and killing him," I say.

"Yes. I can also tell you it's fast, remarkably strong, and has the capacity to render its victims essentially helpless within seconds." Deaton places his arms on my shoulder and looks me in the eye worriedly. "I want you to be very careful. In the natural world, predators with paralytic toxins use them to catch and eat their prey. This prey wasn't eaten. That means whatever killed him only wanted to kill him. In fact, killing may be its only purpose."