Chapter two

A man with grey hair and a clipboard walked into the cafeteria.

"He's the one who calls names to go this 'safe place'," Eli whispers to me. I nod and turn to face him. He starts calling out names. I watch as people get up. I don't recognize any of the names. Only one. I freeze when he says it.

"Y/n." The man calls. Why did he call my name? I just got out of that medical place today, a little under an hour ago. I shakily stand up. And walk over. I turn to see Aris and Eli watching me, worriedly. I walk out of the room to see 2 doctors waiting. The rest of the kids walk past them. I do too, but one grabs my arm.

"Something went wrong with some of our tests. We need to take you back to the medical room," one of the doctors say. I nod and follow them. I'm led to the white bed I woke up in. I see the same girl who was brought in when I left, asleep on the bed next to me with tubes attached to her. I lay down and the doctor injects me with something, making me pass out.

~Time skip~
I wake up to see the dark haired girl staring at the ceiling.

"Hi," I say quietly. I have no clue what time or day it is or how long I've been out. She looks to me. The lamp lights around us make her blue eyes even brighter.

"Hi," she says shakily. I realize that she had been crying.

"You alright?" I ask the girl.

"They gave me my memories back..." She says softly. I look at her, sympathetically. I imagine it must be hard to remember the tragic aspects of the past. I open my mouth to speak but the girl beats me to it.

"My mother... she got the flare when I was little. I kept her in the basement, hoping she'd get better..." she takes a deep, shaky breath. "I woke up one day to a silent house. The screaming had stopped... I went to see her, thinking she was better. She... she had clawed her eyes out." The girl beside me lets out a sob. I want to get up and comfort her, but the tubes attached to me make it impossible.

"I'm sorry..." I say. The girl looks at me.

"This place... it's WICKED. And... I-I worked for them. I helped build the maze, I put my friends there, I watched them get tested and tortured and treated like lab rats!" She lets out another sob. I feel awful for the girl.

"Hey... that's in the past. Do you agree with what you did?" I ask. The girl shakes her head. "Do you agree with WICKED?" The girl shakes her head violently. "And most importantly... would you do it again?" She hesitates and shakes her head.

"No. But-we need to find a cure. What I went through- other people are going through it all over. We need a cure so they don't have to go through that. But, what WICKED is doing... it's wrong. It's terrible."

I nod. "I agree. With all of that. We need a cure. But we need to find a way out..." I start. Then I get an idea. Before I can share it, doctors come back in. They greet us, talk a little and inject us with the stuff that makes us pass out.

~Time skip~
I wake up and hear a lot of commotion. A group of 4 boys and a girl show up. Eli. And four of the boys from the group Aris pointed out. The pale boy with dark hair and eyes rushed over to the girl next to me, who was still sleeping. Eli sees me and rushes over.

"Y/n! You're alive!" She unhooks me from the tubes and helps me up. I smile at her.

"Yea... what's going on? Where's Aris?"

"We're leaving. He went through the vents with one of these guys' friends to do something. We're gonna meet up with them now come on-" As Eli finishes her sentence, officers start banging on the door. Someone had pushed a cart in front of the door, so they can't get in right away. I don't really pay attention, since I'm still a little tired from whatever the doctors injected me with. As Eli helps me stand, I see the fair skinned boy with dark hair and the blonde boy take stools and hit the window. The first time, the stools bounced off the window. The second time, however, the glass shattered. Someone(I didn't pay enough attention to see who) placed a towel over the window to make it easier to climb over. Eli helped me over to the window. We were the last ones. Eli helped me over to the window. The tall blonde boy was on the other side. He reached his arms out and lifted me up and over the glass. Eli climbed over just as the door to the medical room swung open. Eli nodded to the blonde boy to thank him for helping me. She grabbed my arm and draped it around her neck to help me walk. We walked as fast as possible, trying to keep up with the others.