Wattpad Original

Chapter 9

I slowed down as we neared the trees, picking an easier pace for Nicky. A quick check over my shoulder reassured me the cave entrance was still untenanted.

Nicky passed by me without slowing. "We have to hurry! There are two others waiting farther down the highway in a third van – and they have all of Louise's notes on how to create those mutant zombies! They're just waiting for their friends to come back."

I bared my teeth as I started jogging beside her. "The van down the path has flat tires, so we shouldn't have any problem reaching those two before the others do. And if we spot your three escorts on our way back, the Nightstalker won't have to track them down later."

"I'm not sure how long they'll wait. If we don't catch up quickly, Charles and Lelan will get away with all those notes."

A snarl came out of the cave, making us pause and look back uneasily. Daniel tightened his grip on my bow, alert and ready to provide cover-fire so I could get Nicky into the shelter of the trees and out of harm's way. I tensed and seriously hoped the guy in the cave wasn't packing a rifle or something.

The Nightstalker paced angrily into the light once again, his cloak swirling in his wake. "You're going after Charles and Lelan?" The names rolled off his tongue way too easily.

Suddenly cautious, I stalled for time. "Do you know them?" If this was a friend of theirs, this situation had suddenly become far more complex.

"Those two traitors used to be friends of mine, but they tried to kill me when I turned." The Nightstalker bared his teeth in anger. "I want to make sure they aren't alive by sundown."

So much for them potentially being on good terms with each other.

Daniel and I exchanged a glance as Nicky prudently remained where she was.

As the Nightstalker descended the steps, he asked, "What reasons do you have for going after them?"

I bared my own teeth in response. "You have to ask? He kidnapped my two sisters, he's responsible for a bunch of mutant zombies, and he's trying to create a drug that lets him control zombies."

"In that case, I will join your fight," the Nightstalker said, approaching at a swift walk that somehow didn't look hurried.

"The highway is several miles away," I clarified cautiously, trying to figure out how to handle his sudden desire to "join our fight", "so unless you have a quad or some other vehicle, I'm not sure how you're going to arrive quickly enough. There's a decent-sized group in our truck, so I doubt you'd want to ride with us."

"If it gets me there in time to watch their demise, then I'll manage," he stated resolutely, his expression one of determination.

If his scent hadn't clearly been that of a Nightstalker, I would have wondered what kind of zombie had just invited himself along. A Nightstalker willing to travel with a group of strange humans and zombies? I know it's just a few miles, but even Kelly and Travis wouldn't have considered it, bloodlust or none.

"Is this even going to work?" I asked, thoroughly perplexed by his decision.

It was one thing for Luke and me to manage in the back of the truck with Nicky, but two Nightstalkers who didn't know each other? When one was pretty much the embodiment of the horror stories circulated about us? That wasn't even taking Daniel into account, although I wasn't sure he was close enough to pick up Daniel's scent yet, especially with how the wind was blowing it to the side.

"Unless you are planning to pick a fight with me, I'll hold my peace for this short trip. When-" The Nightstalker suddenly stopped as his nostrils flared, his attention now focused on Daniel.