Wattpad Original

Chapter 24

* * * Epilogue * * *

I put the last board in place and hammered the nails in. "There. That's the last raised garden box I'm building for you."

"That's what you said last time," Jess replied with a laugh.

I shook my head and paused as I lifted my nose to the wind. "Looks like Kelly and Travis are finally here."

"That's great! I was beginning to worry something might have happened to them."

I rolled my eyes at my sister. There wasn't much out there capable of tangling with one Nightstalker, nevermind a pair of them, but Jess still worried every single time they were a week or so late.

"Let's go meet them," I said, looking forward to seeing the two Nightstalkers again.

As we walked toward the outer gate, Luke came out of his rabbit shed and headed toward his pigeon coop, which was beside it.

"Luke! Kelly and Travis are coming!" Jess told him excitedly.

His red eyes turned our way as a delighted smile appeared on his face. "How close are they?"

"Their scent is on the wind, so it won't be long before they arrive," I told him.

"We're going to meet them," Jess quickly added. "Want to come?"

"I'd love to come." He began walking beside us. "It's been a while since they stopped by."

A guard opened the outer gate for us as we got closer. Just as we went through, familiar footsteps raced up behind me. I gave a quiet growl as I glanced back at Liz. As per usual, she ignored my mild protest and launched herself onto my back, much to Luke's and Jess's amusement.

The seven-year-old halfway pulled herself up onto one of my shoulders and tried not to fall off. I growled at her once more, and she growled right back in a playful manner.

Her growls were much better after three years of practice. She could hit the exact tone and note she wanted, and also knew what they meant. It was hard to tell hers apart from an actual zombie's growl at this point, much to the distress of her family and friends some nights when she was being mischievous.

I snorted faintly in amusement. "Why don't you go bother Nicky? She can chase you around the playground or something."

Liz started to slip down and pulled herself back up. She leaned one of her elbows over my shoulder. "She's currently hiding from Daniel."

"What did she do this time?" I asked with a heavy sigh.

"She managed to sneak soap into one of those desserts she passed around after lunch and used some herbs to cover the scent."

"I wondered why she was in such a hurry to take the dishes away and get back to work," Jess murmured.

Luke shuddered lightly as he recalled his own encounter with soap so long ago. My instincts shifted at the faint smell of guilt, and I turned my head as I eyed up the child hanging off my shoulder. "Why do I suspect she had help?"

Liz ducked her head sheepishly. "Can I blame Logan?"

There was no point in lying, and Liz knew such things would only get her into trouble around zombies. She had probably learned about the herb from Logan, Nina, or Jess, and judging from her comment, I was guessing Logan.

"At this rate, I'm going to have to report your behavior to your mother."

Liz started giggling so hard she almost fell off my back. "She wouldn't ground me."