03 | at a waterfall, reykjavik

At A Waterfall, Reykjavic.
Eileen Myles.

I still feel like
the world
is a piece
of bread

I'm holding
out half
to you.

———

Iris came into work thirty-minutes before her shift, smiling warmly at Hermione as she pushed her jacket off and hung it up on the coat-peg. This morning had been particularly busy, Hermione knew it would have been because of the closeness to Christmas day.

Three days to go.

Hermione sighed and looked through her written list of the books, stationary and other products she had sold. "Forty books, twelve quills and..." Hermione trailed off, squinting her eyes and using her finger to trace the paper. "Fourteen bookbags." Hermione smiled, and Iris read the list over her shoulder. "Well done, Mione." The young witch smiled and clapped her hands together once.

Hermione put the list under the counter and stifled a yawn. "You can head off home, Mione. I've got it from here, Thea's due in at ten." Iris told Hermione, with a prominent grin. The girl was too cheerful for nearly eight-o'clock in the morning. Hermione smiles and pulls her jacket on, then wraps her scarf around her neck.

"See you later, Iris." Called the witch as she left the shop, a loud crack filled Diagon Alley and Hermione warped into thin-air. Moments later, she landed in her flat and struggled her shoes off before falling onto her sofa. She lay there for a while, still clad in her brown winter coat and pink scarf. Her jeans had become undesirable but she couldn't bare the thought of moving to change, so she curled up on the sofa and stared at her coffee table. Hermione let herself forget about Draco, about work and friends and she felt dreadfully selfish in that moment when Harry and Ron became lodgers in her mind.

Harry and Ron had gone off to the Ministry in September as apprentices in the Department of Magical Law Enforcement with a promise from Shacklebolt that they would become Aurors later on. The wizards had been working their arses off for months without a word to Hermione, but she hadn't minded... They were busy and she knew that. The witch had been offered job opportunities from the Ministry too, and she gracefully declined them which earned her a few odd stares and disapproving sighs. Hermione had considered working in the Department for the Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures but after careful thought, she decided it was best she remove herself from chaos for a while. They agreed with the witch, of course, and told her they'd set the job aside for her if she ever found herself with a changed heart. Hermione doubted it very much.

Hermione sat up after some time and took off her coat and scarf, and with a lazy flick of her wand, they were hung up by her front door in half-a-second. Hermione found herself more and more sluggish as time passed, she'd never admit that the war was taking its toll on her, so she'd convinced herself solely that she was just tired from working long hours. Nothing more, nothing less. She dreaded the thought of going in an hour early, cursing herself for mentioning it to Iris, but she kept her promises and she would show at nine o'clock on the dot. She supposed it would be okay, it wasn't as though she was alone all night long.

Hermione's head fell when she remembered suddenly that she'd be seeing Draco tonight, and it fell further when she realised how close Christmas day actually was. The months had gone by too quickly, just seven months ago she was fighting some of the darkest wizards and witches of all time and now, she could barely think about one thing at a time without her head near-exploding.