S E T T E

Cecilia observed herself in the mirror in the middle of the room. The Markis might have been distancing themselves from the modern world, but she supposed that their vanity was more important than their feeling of protecting their ancient ways. Still, she was glad for the mirror.

She was wearing a red summer dress that ended just above her knee and left her shoulders and arms bare except for the thin straps that upheld the dress. It accentuated her body nicely and she might have loved it if Alice had picked it out for her, but the reminder that the maker was dead and that it had been a gift from the Volturi ruined it.

"You look beautiful," Demetri said, stepping in front of the mirror as well.

He was wearing one of his black suits, the Volturi's crest resting on his chest. Cecilia couldn't help but compare the two of them once more. Now that her skin had evened out, her curls appeared more lively and her eyes had become red, or more of a maroon colour as of now, they looked more like equals than ever. She loved the sight of them together, reminding her of the way her father looked with her mother.

"I've never heard you call me anything else," Cecilia replied with an amused smile. She turned around, her back facing the mirror and her eyes fixated on Demetri. Her fingers trailed over the hard line of his jaw. Now that she didn't have to sleep during the night, there were a whole other nine hours in the day in which she could enjoy his company. "But I think you're handsome as well."

"I've never heard you call me anything else either," Demetri said, smiling teasingly.

"I've called you a drama queen," she reminded him. The memory was vague and caused her a headache. Whenever she thought back on her human memories it was like looking through a lens with a huge level of noise, but she forced herself to do it. She hadn't seen her family since she'd turned and the thought of losing memories of them hurt her heart. "And I still stand by those words."

"Hmm, interesting," he replied, an amused expression on his face. "Shall we hunt tonight?"

"On Corfu?" she asked doubtfully.

Demetri shook his head. "We'll go to the mainland."

"Sounds like a plan."

The two of them walked through the castle quietly. Danae had explained the lay-out of it to Cecilia, but it had sounded like a lot of gibberish to her. The only thing she'd understood was that the guest rooms were on one side of the castle, while the Markis' chambers were on the other. That didn't stop the two of them from hearing whatever else the Markis' were doing in the night. Cecilia had buried her nose even further in the book she was reading, pretending to be deaf and grateful for the fact that she no longer blushed.

"Good morning, Demetri, Cecilia," Adras greeted them, nodding to both. Danae was sitting next to him, a sly smile on her face. The rest of the coven was nowhere in sight.

Demetri returned the greeting, before sitting across from the couple. Cecilia followed his example, feeling slightly nervous. The two of them had decided that today they would extend the formal invitation for the feast in Volterra, which would also mean that soon enough they would be talking about politics.

"On behalf of the Masters I would like to invite you as the first and most honoured guests at the coming feast," Demetri said, smiling politely. There he was, formal and stiff. Cecilia couldn't blame him. "It's being held for Cecilia's transformation, and they sincerely hope you could make it."

"We will be delighted to accept such-"

Danae's scoff interrupted her husband's speech abruptly. She wasn't trying to hide her disgust any longer and with a disapproving expression on her face, she let go of her husband to sit up straight. "That's how the Volturi treats one of the most ancient and well-respected covens in the world?" she asked sarcastically.