V E N T I S E T T E

"Alright, Cecy, show us the big bling."

It was Rose who'd raced up to the newly engaged couple as soon as the door closed behind them. Smiling proudly, Cecilia held out her hand, the diamond on her ring finger breaking down and reflecting the light from the lamp above them. Rose let out a gasp, turning her hand from left to right to get all the angles. 

"It's beautiful," she said, smiling kindly. Her eyes shifted to Demetri and she gave him a nod, the expression on her face faltering every so slightly. Cecilia knew she was trying, it had taken her ages to warm up to Jake and he was around every day, so she didn't mind. "Congratulations you two."

"Thanks, Rose," Cecilia said kindly, giving the other vampire a quick hug. Grabbing Demetri's hand with the one that didn't have a beautiful ring on it, the two of them managed to make it to the living room before her mother came rushing up, looking like she might burst out crying any minute though that was not physically possible. 

"My little girl," her mother said softly, looking at the ring. "You've grown up."

"I have for a while now," Cecilia said, no hint of her usual sarcasm or irony audible. She hugged her mother close, appreciating the way her mother held her tight. From the outside, Esmee looked like a petite and soft woman and though many people could misuse her sweet character, but she was still a vampire with the love only mothers seemed to possess. 

After she had let go of her mother, Cecilia looked up at her father with a smirk. "So, did he ask for your blessing?"

"He did," her father said, smiling calmly. "The first day you two arrived."

"How neat," Emmett teased, but his obvious happiness was visible.

Rose gave him a nudge. "You could learn a thing or two from that."

Cecilia beamed, looking quickly over her shoulder to look at Demetri. Even though the news of their engagement would make things much more difficult for her, she was grateful that he'd done it. At least her family could be joyful about it for a couple of hours, before they would forget her altogether. 

"Celia," Jasper suddenly said, gaining her attention. It had been a while since anybody had called her that nickname. Demetri had never used it, preferring her full name over anything, and ever since she'd joined the Volturi she guessed she had simply outgrown the name. "Can I talk to you privately?"

"Of course," she replied quickly. Demetri shot her a questioning look and she shrugged, not sure what Jasper wanted to talk about either. Still, Cecilia followed him quietly, hearing her family continuing with their congratulations to her soulmate, only stopping when they had reached the balcony Demetri and Alice had made their sneaky plans almost a day ago. 

Cecilia hadn't noticed it then, but now, as she leaned against the balustrade, she noticed the view. It was beautiful, trees everywhere you could see, with little hills and clearings. It wouldn't be long before the sun would be up, brightening the day again, for Cecilia and Demetri had almost spent the entire night in that spot in the forest, locked in each other's arms. 

"You're happy, about the engagement," Jasper stated after a moment, breaking the silence. 

Slowly, she tore her eyes away from the peaceful scenery to look at the vampire standing next to her. "Of course I am. I've been asking him like a spoiled little child for years now. Quite embarrassing, if you ask me."

Jasper nodded, looking lost in thought. "But you're sad as well. I can feel it."

Cecilia didn't reply immediately, letting her eyes wander back to the trees in front of her. "You know when I told you I was afraid of losing my memories?" she asked quietly, and from the corner of her eyes, she could see him nod. "Don't you think it's ironic that my gift should be just that, making people lose their memories?"