27: An old friend

"You look lovely, Clare. This is why I'm in love with you."

The sarcastic, jocularly dry tone, the quirk of the mouth into a teasing grin, and his eyes- fixed on me like there were unspoken words brimming in them.

As one would be stunned by a serious response to a joke, I stood stunned. When I'd recovered, he was sitting back in the sofa of the store, flipping through a fashion magazine.

Feeling closely followed by the curious gaze of the cashier, I collected myself and paid for the clothes I was wearing.

While handing me back my card, the thirty-something year old cashier looked at me so hard in the face I could've suspected I'd gotten ketchup on my mouth from lunch.

"You're not trying out the other two?" Elliot asked, as we were heading down an aisle of stores.

"Wow, you were actually listening to me. I thought you had suddenly developed keen interest in women's fashion. You were practically boring holes into that magazine."

He nodded innocently. "Of course. Always very intently to your words. Wait- why're we going to the men's section?"

"So that I can get a suit for myself, why else." I seized the tail of his coat, just as he was walking away from the store I'd stopped in front of. "This is a good place, for a simple shirt and pants."

Elliot pointed to the tail of his coat, which was in my grasp. "Of all places to hold onto me, really?" he questioned, raising his eyebrows.

"Then where else?"

After releasing the tail of his coat, I walked into the store and greeted back the brightly beaming salesperson.

"Could you recommend just a simple shirt and pair of pants for him? For a semi-formal dining event."

The salesperson nodded, and after showering Elliot with a look of open surprise, and pointed to a pair of shirt and pants.

"This is a very classic set. Not too formal, but suitable for occasions like fine dining or casual parties. This color is the most popular one from the current season..."

The public Elliot version was back again. With the kind of a smile that would make anyone think he'd just become best friends with the salesperson, he nodded.

"I like this set, I'll try it on. Hey sweet, do you think it's okay?"

Hey...what? I stared at him, and he returned a smile, crinkles forming around the corners of his eyes.

Conscious of the expectant, smiling face of the salesman, I managed a laugh hoping it didn't sound like a growl.

"Yeah, looks...cute. Try it on."

At my response, Elliot's mouth twitched, then he pressed his lips firmly together. Asshole. He was stifling a laugh. "Okay."

It wasn't safe to let down my guard; the salesman was smiling with satisfaction. I tried to return the smile.

One theory I had about him was that he wasn't into celebrity gossip- nor was he an avid news reader. He didn't seem to recognize Elliot- or me.

Most thankfully, the glass doors of the store were pushed open, and a couple walked in.

Greeting the duo with enthusiasm, the salesman- probably in his early fifties- walked up to them.

As I was looking around the store, with the sound of heels against the marble, the couple approached- me.

"Clare, what a surprise."

Of all places, and of all times, to meet her, here. I rose to my feet, exhaling. What a long day.