chaudah. silah

chaudah. silah

The passion you put into your business will drive you higher, and the one in love will bury you deep inside, somewhere no one can ever reach

_

"Handsome, nazar na lagey."

Naina, my always dramatic sister, was the first to make me smile and she imitated the old tradition of placing the kajal dot at the back of my head and also twirling her fingers around.

Shaking my head, I hugged her. She was dolled up in a blue lehenga, looking gorgeous and I had worn the royal blue sherwani which was selected by Naina. She said it made me look like a prince, especially the the royal blue complimented the white dhoti pants. Mom and Dad were busy with the last minute preparations and while the entire house was decorated with blue and pink flowers, I felt sadder by the minute.

In less than hour, I am to get engaged to Shyra but the faster the time ticked, the faster my restlessness were growing.

This was right, but felt wrong.

How was I supposed to put a ring on the woman I did not love, and then have the woman I do, to watch it. I promised Diya, so many times when we were kids that I would marry her some day, we'd have our own little place, a small yard, a tiny dog and a big cat, one bike, one car and three kids.

Two boys and a little girl.

She'd keep writing her shayaris, her woven intricate words, and I'd work to keep her publishing company on the highest platform. She'd read me her sweet poems as I'd lay on her lap, and then sleep with her soft words playing in my dreams. I'd make her hot coffee when she'd hold me and we'd find comfort with each other, just she and me, warm coffee, soft blankets and cold wind, everything else, just disappearing.

"Come, bhai, we gotta go down." Naina snapped me out of my senses, "I have heard the planning team have decorated the lawn like a bride. This team looks really dedicated."

Nodding, we walked towards the lobby of the building, and truly everything looked splendid, with the lamp lights, the entire garden really looked more brighter than before. The team had got the jest, I'll give them that, they really put in their heart in the preparations. The guests had already arrived, few friends, associates and relatives, and although there were some fifty people, I had no close relations with any of them. The one I truly cared about was standing aside, dressed in a simple anarkali, her soft blue dupatta playing with the wind and her laughter, louder than the noise.

That was odd, Diya never laughed out loud. I was with her for ten years, and she never laughed aloud with me too. Often I asked her, what I should do to make her laugh again and she'd smile and tell me that her father took all her laughter with him when he left.

Ignoring the clan, I walked towards Diya, and the planning team soon stood up straight, while Diya turned. Instead of being herself, Diya chuckled, tilting her head, "Ishaan, kitni pyaare lag rahe ho aap." She held my arms, sighing with a huge smile. "Congratulations on the engagement."