The Shepherd

Happy day... That's what today was supposed to be, a happy day. Edward Sully pulled into the lone empty parking space in front of the community in development office. The grey mustang came to a stop just shy of the "future homeowner," sign at the end of the parking space. Edward sat in the idling vehicle for a minute asking himself if he was really going to go through with this, he had to.

He pulled down the visor and flipped up the plastic lid to the cars mirror. His hazel eyes looked tired, he was tired. He removes his black cap and runs his hand over his shaved head. A deep breath and sigh before he places his cap back on and turns the car off. He exits and adjusts his black jeans and fitted grey T-shirt. He had always been a bit thin but especially so now, he hadn't been eating much lately with so much life going on.

He walks up to the front door of the office which was just a model home with a guest bedroom converted into an office space where paperwork was done. Before he could reach for it the door swings open, a tall blonde man with a great, paid-for tan smiles.

"Hello, welcome to Sigma Communities, come on in."

Edward smiles and nods as he walks past the man into the hallway lobby. There is a table runner next to him that has pamphlets and different floor plans and options. Some are plans of custom homes the others are plans for inventory homes that are ready to sell.

"Hey I'm Michael, lead salesman here at Sigma. Tell me you wanna make this your new home." The tall model-like man says through a seemingly genuine smile as he extends a hand.

"I may. I'm Edward, Edward Sully." He replies as he grabs the man's hand giving it a firm shake.

The two proceed into the office just past the entrance to the model home and Michael invites Edward to sit in one of two chairs opposite the desk with the bedroom window behind him. Edward sits and zeroes in on the twenty-two inch computer monitor on the desk as Michael signs in and opens various Sigma menus and pictures of homes.

"Okay Mr. Sully, you tell me what I have to do to get you into your new home today." Michael says, smiling.

Edward explains to Michael that he is a first-time home buyer, and that he is a one hundred percent disabled veteran wanting to possibly use his VA home loan benefit.

The two proceed into a two hour conversation going over the many details in buying a home and especially the details of doing it via a VA loan. There are many perks and benefits to being a disabled veteran and using one's earned home loan that Edward finds surprising. After an information dump, Michael can tell Edward is overwhelmed and offers to decompress and show Edward one of the inventory homes that is within his loan budget, one that is currently move-in-ready.

The two walk outside and into Michael's two-door Tesla. Edward takes notice and guesses Michael must do well for himself in the real estate market. They drive a short distance from the sales office through the neighborhood, much of which is still being built.

"All of these homes are brand new, Edward. Everyone living here is the first to do so." Michael proudly states.

They come to a dead end culdesac and Michael pulls into the empty driveway of a pristine, brand new, single-story home.

"This is it, it's move-in ready. Well, after we put in the brand new stove, fridge, washer and dryer, and dishwasher, that is, but that's a one day thing, tops."

"So I'd be able to start moving in immediately?" Edward asks as he and Michael walk up to the front door.

Michael punches in the code on the lock to the keyless entry front door.

"Well, yes and no, we have to wait for the VA inspector to come and then wait for all the paperwork to clear and then, on closing day, you will be ready to move in. It really is a fast process when the home is as finished as this one is and the financial situation is as clean and ready to go as yours."