Southern Hospitality

This story is said to be true and recounted to me by my grandfather whose own father is said to have experienced.

The following events took place during the summer of 1920...

Bo, that's what everyone called me in town. I had a reputation for drinking a lil much, for being a tad hot headed and even a touch of crazy for a certain girl. That's all well and fair if I'm to be honest and shame the devil, but after my ride in the summer of 1920 they all steered clean the hell away from me. Can't say I blame em, hell I wouldn't believe me either if I didn't see it with my own eyes... and if I didn't hear it.

See my folks and I lived way out in the thicket and I had important business needed tending to with kin in Nacogdoches, Texas. Being as we was just simple country folk we didn't have an automobile so it was a good two days ride for me.

I made the trip a time or two so I knew to head out early as I could. Well, I knew that but it sure didn't play out that way. See a lil gal I'd been running around with in town got it in her head that I was leaving to get away from her, so she up and met me at my home. After a lil fight, a lil make up and some pretty words I finally got my behind on the trail. I had all I needed for the trip so it was just a game of doing it, and most of it was a pleasant ride if I must say.

The damned sun saw fit to quit on me after a few hours and the night comes real quick in the sticks. It started getting to where I couldn't see and I knew if I couldn't then my horse surely was ridin blind. I pushed on anyway long as the trail was flat, I had to make some distance cause no tellin how long my kin would stick around waitin on me. It was dark as Judas' heart out and like an angel from heaven I could barely see the light of a lantern a half a mile ahead. Well I was tired and my ol stud wasn't walkin as smooth which told me we needed to stop.

I got close to the light and I could make out that it was an old house with a pretty large barn out back. As I got closer to the front a man met me outside, almost like he knew I was coming. He was a young fella but already balding, nice though, he smiled and nodded to me as I hopped to the ground with a thud.

"Stranger you don't got to say a word, I know you're tired by the look of ya." He said as he walked over and reached out his hand.

I shook it and smiled at his politeness, "You don't miss much do you, I'm Bo and this here is Trent." I said as I nodded to my horse.

"Pleasure to the both of ya Mr. Bo, tell you what... It's mighty dark out and being a Christian man I don't think I could handle letting you go off in this thicket and dark. To be honest we been havin trouble with a pair of cats taking our chickens and I got it in my gut that won't be long for they decide to take something bigger."

"Cougars huh?" I said as I looked around in the darkness as if I could see anything anyway.

He nodded at me, "Yes sir that's right, in the heat of mating I figure it. Tell you what, go on inside and we'll put you up for the night, got a couple other travelers in there tonight also and mama just got a pan of chili and biscuits set down for supper."

I looked around and at my horse Trent then back at the man who oddly still didn't give his name. It was all a little much but to be honest, I was sure hungry, tired and the thought of a night ride with a damn cougar out sent a chill up my spine.

"Don't you worry bout Trent here mister, I'll take him around the barn, get him fed and some fresh water. He'll be right as rain and ready for you come daylight." The man said.

Hell how could I say no? I shook his hand again, handed him the reins and walked inside the old house. Well I sure had a strange feeling but the setting didn't match my gut, it was cozy, well kept and the smell coming from that chili was enough to drive a man insane.