Chapter 42 - Fabian And Flora

Chapter 42 - Fabian and Flora

Ava

I came out of the emergency room after Fiona took her last breath. At least, she had someone by her side during that ending moment, even if it wasn't her family. But I was sure that she would now be reunited with her husband.

"Ava, are you okay?" I hadn't even noticed Ace standing in front of me, looking at me anxiously.

"I need to sit down for a minute," I said, and Ace took me over to the bench. "I'm just... shocked. She... died in front of my eyes."

Ace looked at me sympathetically. "I'm sure that must have been hard for you."

I nodded. "But..." A smile formed on my lips. "She seemed to be at peace... before she took her last breath."

"Why is that?" he asked curiously.

I looked into Ace's eyes and said, "She told me her last wish. It was... for me to take care of her baby."

Ace seemed momentarily surprised, then he smiled. "I'm sure I don't need to ask what you answered."

I nodded and hugged him. "Ace, her baby is ours from now on. We..."

"We are going to be her parents," he completed for me. I nodded against his chest. "We have to wait for a few months to take her home since she's a premature baby."

"Yeah, we have to be especially careful of her health all the time," I added.

"We will be. But before that, we have to do all the formalities and officially adopt the baby," he said.

I pulled away from his arms and smiled as I said excitedly, "I can't wait to bring our baby home, Ace."

"Me neither, Ava."

###

We were on our way home when Ace got a call from the adoption center we were going to visit.

I received the call since Ace was driving. "Hello?"

"Oh, Mrs. Valentino. Hello, I called to ask when you will be arriving," Mr. Gilbert asked.

"Uh, actually, we got caught up in something, so we won't be coming anymore," I answered.

"Really? That's a shame. We had a kid who I thought would be perfect for Mr. Valentino and you," he said.

"Why did you think that?" I asked curiously.

He chuckled and said, "I don't know. But when I talked to the two of you the other day over video conference, I just got that feeling. I have been quite eager to have you meet the kid. He totally seems like he was made for you guys."

I couldn't help but smile at that. "Alright, please wait for us. We will drop by soon."

"Fabian and I will be waiting eagerly. Have a nice evening, Mrs. Valentino." With that, he hung up.

"Huh? We are dropping by that adoption center?" Ace asked in confusion.

"Mr. Gilbert said there was a kid who resembled our personalities and that he would be perfect for us," I told him.

"So do you want to see him?" he asked with a gentle smile.

I nodded eagerly. "I'm excited to meet Fabian."

###

After half an hour, we entered the adoption center. Ace and I took a U-turn because we couldn't wait to meet Fabian.