Amiss (Part 2) (EDITED)

7:46 am

Hayley entered the lobby of Diz Mixup, heading for the hallway off to the left. She rounded the corner and began down the long passageway. She sidestepped around employees pushing carts of equipment the opposite way until she arrived at the office door.

"Oh, Miss Morin?"

She turned and saw one of the technicians had stopped while the other continued to push the kart.

"It's down by the office, right around the corner by the auditorium door," He explained, pointing behind her. "It wasn't completely empty, so we plugged it in to keep it warm."

She nodded. "Thank you."

The employee dashed to catch up with his co-workers while Hayley continued on her way. Rounding the corner, she spotted the dispenser where she had been told. The cord plugged in and the hot surface light on. She stepped over and crouched down, cranking the temperature knob down and unplugging the cord.

She got back up, went right up to the door and knocked. She waited patiently though she didn't hear anything from beyond the door. She knocked harder, finding the same silence from inside.

Third time was always the charm. "Nick, you in there?"

"He's not in there right now."

She turned her head, finding another employee addressing her. This one carried a set of microphones in his hands with a clipboard wedged under his arm. One she remembered from the night before.

"Then where he is," She demanded, putting her hands on her hips. "He and I need to talk."

"I remember," he said, before pointing to the fire exit next to the office. "He's out in his truck, been out there for a while actually."

Hayley glanced over, spotting a red pickup truck through the door's window. She nodded at Mickey before walking over. She passed a pair of restrooms in a short hallway before coming to the door. She stepped outside into the overcast weather, approaching the truck with a direct pace. As she got closer, she heard the music pouring out of the open driver's side window. Peeking inside she found no one. Just the radio playing a melancholy, yet upbeat song.

Hayley stepped back and looked around the parking lot. There were several cars parked around, but no sign of anyone. That was when she heard the truck shift on its suspension with a creak. She stepped up to the bed of the truck and peered over the edge.

She found a zoned-out Nick lying down. A can of soda in his hand while the other was draped over his chest. His hat laid pinned against the floor and his head as he stared up to the overcast weather passing by.

Crossing her arms, Hayley leaned against the side of the truck. "So, is this your form of meditation?"

He didn't look at her. "Nah, something I've always wanted to do."

"Really?"

Nick reached up and pulled his hat over his eyes. "You can go ahead and shut it off."

Without much encouragement, Hayley popped open the driver door and reached behind the steering wheel, feeling the ignition. She turned it, cutting the engine off as the CD in the radio whirled to a halt.

"You wanted to talk to me?"

"Yeah," Hayley said. She shut the door and stepped back over, "About last night."

Nick just laid there. His hands together over his chest. He drew a deep breath through his nose, before bumping his hat off his eyes.

"What about it? We had sex."