Chapter 3- One Month Later

"Can I help you?"

I was at the Spengler house with Aunt Janine. She was not blood-related, but she was family. We saw a family. A brother and a sister, and a mom. They froze when they saw me. Why were they surprised that a kid lived in this town?

"Um, hi. We're—We're the, um, the... This was my father's place," the woman explained.

Janine waved to the two kids. "Hi," they said in unison.

"I'm Janine Melnitz. We spoke on the phone. I was your father's... friends. I'm very sorry for your loss," Janine explained as I walked over to the kids.

"I'm (Y/n) Venkman," I said, holding out my hand.

"I'm Trevor, and this is Phoebe." Trevor shook my hand.

"Near-sighted or far-sighted?" Phoebe asked.

"A bit of both," I admitted. "You guys just look like a slightly blurry image without them. It gets worse farther into the distance."

"It's nice to meet you," Trevor said, his eyes dilating as he stared at me.

"It's nice to meet you guys too," I replied. "I'll be around town if you need anything."

"(Y/n), let's go," Janine called.

"Coming." I looked at them as I walked away and saluted. Phoebe smiled and saluted back. Trevor stared dreamily at me as I did.

I drove to Spinner's later. I took the job because of Lucky, and I needed the money. Lucky was a friend of mine, despite her being a couple of years older than me. She treated me almost like I was her sister. But, you know, she liked me.

"Every time I come here, I feel like I've time-traveled back to the seventies," I commented as I skated over to Lucky.

She handed me a notepad. "This place is packed tonight."

"My parents abandoned me faster than I can say Spinner's. I'll be okay with you guys around," I assured her with a sarcastic smile.

Lucky smiled and fist-bumped me. I skated off, gathering orders as quickly as I could. The boys worked faster when I was around. I didn't know why. I guessed it was because I was bossier and would immediately shut up anyone who tried to insult Lucky.

"What's up, Casanova?" one boy called on the car to a customer.

"Lucky's hot. What do you expect?" I said casually as I skated over to them.

"No. He was looking for you, actually. Said your name and wanted a job," Lucky explained.

I looked at the car. "Trevor? Yeah. He's one of the dirt farmer's grandkids. Auntie Janine brought me over earlier."

"He has a little cwush on you," a boy taunted.

"So have all of you," I replied as I skated away.

I finished my shift and drove home. I was dead. Figuratively. The dead keep trying to talk to me, however. The mystery ghost has been leaving my room cleaner than I left it. Maybe it was someone close to me?

"Are you going to be living here for the rest of the summer?" Aunt Jenny teased.

"Pretty much. I love being here," I reasoned.

"How was meeting the Spenglers?" Aunt Jenny asked.

"Great. The woman has a kid my age," I pointed out.

"Great. How long until he hits on you?" Aunt Jenny smirked.

"He already found out where I worked."