Chapter 8- Slimer Returns

As we walked down the road, I heard a small hum. It got closer and closer until I realized it was a car. Shock ran through my body. Who was driving down the road like a madman?

"Guys-"

The car came flying onto the road. Phoebe grabbed onto my waist as Podcast stood there. Phoebe slowly let go of me as the car pulled up to us. Trevor struggled to roll down the window.

"Hey," he said.

"Hi?" I said, confused.

"This is Podcast," Phoebe said.

"See why I never let you drive?" I questioned, wiping the dust off of the car.

"Relax," Trevor assured me.

We got in and he drove us back to the house. Trevor stopped when the police radio blared through the car. When did we have a police radio? I realized one of the Ghostbusters might have installed it just in case there was a sighting of a ghost.

"All units, we're getting reports of—Well, some kind of animal sliming everything in its path."

I scoffed as Trevor turned toward town. "What is Slimer doing in Summerville?"

"Slimer?" Phoebe and Trevor questioned.

"Slimer was the first ghost our grandparents ever caught. Slimed my grandfather. Had your grandfather take a sample to study," I explained. "Class five. Full-roaming vapor."

"What is that?" Trevor questioned.

"The Ghostbusters classified the ghosts they've encountered in notes. I somehow remember some of them," I explained.

Trevor slowed down as we passed the buildings. I crawled into the back, next to Phoebe. I looked around and saw slime on the sidewalks. We were following the trail and, thankfully, we were on the right track.

"You guys, this is kind of stupid. Are you sure you didn't just see, like, a raccoon or, like, a possum?"

"There!" Phoebe said.

"Is that a-"

"Ghost." I grinned.

"Okay, uh, what do we do?" Trevor questioned.

Podcast inched closer to the windshield. He pushed off of something on both of our sides. The doors flew open. Phoebe and I screamed as the seats ejected and spun. We were in our seat, but out of the car.

"It has a gunner seat?" Podcast questioned.

Slimer looked at us for a moment. It growled and stared at me with its yellow eyes. It floated off, leaving a glob of slime on the fire hydrant. Trevor stared at the ghost in disbelief. Just like the initial reaction with a lot of people.

"Go, go, go!" Phoebe screamed.

I threw the first shot. Slimer got out of it quickly. We passed a restaurant as Phoebe sent a stream. Trevor sped up. I wrapped a stream around Slimer, finally. Phoebe helped me. We got him.

"Trap him!" I yelled.

The trap was on wheels. Podcast quickly opened the trap. At the last second, Slimer got out of our reach. We withdrew the trap and got back into the car. We chased after the ghost.

"Closer," Phoebe instructed.

"I'm in range," Podcast added.

We were out in the gunner seats again. I shot at Slimer immediately. It wrapped around its body. Phoebe helped me as the trap got closer. It opened, making me grin. We lowered it into the trap, and the trap shut with a snap. Phoebe and I cheered.

It was short-lived as Trevor almost hit Phoebe. She got back into the car before Trevor hit the bridge. I took the split second to get back into the passenger seat. I grabbed the steering wheel and swerved it around. We were okay.

Trevor and I got out of the car. He looked at me for a second before he kissed me. I grinned and kissed him back. I pulled away and hugged him tightly. He made me feel warm and safe.

"What was that?" Podcast questioned.

"I think we just caught a ghost," Phoebe said.

I looked out at the sunset and realized. It was trying to come back here. "We were here last night."