Chapter 25

I woke up to sunlight streaming though curtains, in a bed that was not my own. When I finally peeled my eyes open I saw an unrecognisable room, that I couldn't remember going to. Which meant...

When I turned over, Jax was besides me, still asleep. The movement of his chest as he slowly inhaled and exhaled in his sleep made my heart hammer painfully.

We wore no wedding rings but we both knew- both remembered clearly- the promises made last night. Through words and actions.

Jax snored, the sound a strange feline purr, his sleep deep and probably one he would be easily rose from. Even by his wife.

With that thought in my mind, I slowly crept out of bed. My clothes from yesterday had been left in tatters by the pond side. I never wanted to see that flamed wedding dress again anyway.

But I did want to see Diana. Urgently.

I wondered whether to rifle through the chest of drawers in the bedroom (which reminded me of the inside of a wood cabin, with oak tiling and burnished walls) and try to find something to make me decent. In the end, though, I wrapped a blanket that I found strewn across an armchair around me and cautiously pushed open the door of the room.

The illusion of a woodlands cabin was furthered by the room I entered next. A large, but cosy, living room with a roaring fire warming it and comfortable furniture.

I flushed as I walked in and realised the wolf pack was gathered around the fireplace, in their human form. I only recognised Blaze and Andre, but what an impression I must've made on the others!

The first time they saw me I was throwing myself at their alpha and now I was roaming about their house stark naked.

Andre, who I remembered was an omega, sat in the outskirts, furthest away from the fire. Ignoring the fact only a fuzzy blanket covered my bare skin, he called me over to him.

I awkwardly shuffled forward, scared any sudden moment would strip me of my last few shreds of dignity.

"Don't be embarrassed," Andre said to me quietly. "We've seen plenty of naked bodies before!"

"We aren't to keen on seeing Jax's mate naked though," Blaze assured me. "No offence, of course!"

I grinned, almost shutting out the suspicious flares from the rest of the pack. "No offence taken. Of course."

"Is Jax up yet?" Andre asked.

Blaze snorted. "Of course not- Jax sleeps like the dead."

"Especially after staying up all hours of the night doing God-knows-what!" Another pack member called back. I flushed again, wrapping the blanket as tightly around me as possible.

The men laughed raucously at the implication behind his words.

Blaze rolled his eyes. "They're just being stupid. They know the situation you were in last night."

"Yeah," Andre chimed in. "She nearly became Lady Victor Thornwood."

"I wouldn't mind the title, but the actual man himself left some things to be desired," I said dryly. "And I should thank you for your help last night, Andre. I don't know what I would've done without you."

He smiled half heartedly. "I can't take much credit for that," he confessed. "It was Diana who ordered me about. As soon as we left the woods and she stopped shaking she started ordering me about. She seemed to know exactly what to do."

"Hmmm..." I thought aloud. "Me and Jax should probably head over to the Mason's place and check out what's happening with Victor."

"You'll have to wake him first!" Jeered another pack member. I rolled my eyes and scrunched up my nose.

"It can't be that hard." As soon as the words left my mouth Andre and Blaze shook their heads in amusement.

Half an hour later, Jax was awoken when Blaze- egged on by Andre- dumped a bucket of cold water on the alpha.

He shot out of bed, as stark naked as I was, as spluttered as a waterfall cascaded down my back. It sent memories of last night rushing through my head.

When our eyes met he grinned a wonderful, incandescent smile before snarling at Andre and Blaze to get the hell out his room.

I tenderly sat back down on the bed and watched him as he stumbled to the en suite bathroom in search of a towel. When he came back, comparatively dry, and tried to come towards me for a kiss, I lunged out of the way.

He growled and pulled me off the bed and into his arms. I let his lips trace my jaw as his warm hands danced along my arms. "My wife," he whispered in my ear, his breath hot against my skin.

"My mate," I muttered into his neck, knowing the words to be truer than ever.

We both felt the change. Deep in our bones. No longer mates by fate, but by choice now as well. It made all the difference. I could almost feel all the emotions he felt. Even my sight and hearing seemed to be keener than usual.

I felt my his lips formed into a frown just below my earlobe.

"What's wrong," I murmured, one hand running through his dark locks.

"It's nothing just..."

"Tell me." I pulled back so I could look into his eyes. His dilated pupils had made it so his silver eyes seemed almost dark as the night and lined with silver.

"I thought we might have been gifted enough to be able to speak in each other's minds. But it's stupid- the ability is extremely rare, even amongst mates."

As soon as he said it I felt a cool finger running down my spine.

"You know why he can't see into your mind Persephone? It's because I got here first."

I tried to shake off the voice. The first thing I would do today is ask Genevieve for some more potion. After her heroics last night I was certain she wouldn't begrudge me that.

Finding clothes was my first priority though.

"I need-" I started to say. Jax cut me off.

"Something to wear? I'll take you home on my bike so you can quickly pick up some clothes and ensure your mother hasn't died from worry," he assured me, going to get dressed himself.

"Or called the police," I added, only just remembering that my mom hadn't seen me in near enough 24 hours. "And what will I wear on the way there?"

Without another word, he tossed me some of his own clothes: a loose shirt and jeans that would be way to big for me. I poured as I held them out.

"Now that we're married," he said, "you should get used to sharing."

"I have my own clothes, thank you very much," I muttered under my breath.

Nevertheless, I began to pull on the clothes, breathing in the woodsy scent of my husband.