Chapter 42

I woke up on Jax's chest.

"Shhhh, shhhh," he whispered in my ear. A strange light was filtering though the room and my head felt foggy.

"What?" My voice sounded cracked and broken. And why was my face damp?

Tears. I must've been crying in my sleep. I burrowed my head back in my mate's chest, wishing I could block out the rest of the world.

We were lying on my bed. In my house. And I felt like a stranger walking about in Persephone Smith's skin.

I felt lips against my hair, rough hands skimming over my bare legs. At that moment, I wanted nothing more than to burn up in the heat of Jax, to know nothing but the feel of his skin against mine and the way he muttered my name with such reverence.

But I had questions that needed to be answered.

"How long have I been asleep?" I asked hoarsely.

Jax stroked my hair. "Two days."

"What happened?"

He tried to make his voice nonchalant but failed to mask an intense worry. "We found you passed out in the school parking lot next to Victor Thornwood- who miraculously is neither dead or possessed. Thanks to you, I presume."

"I don't know what I did," I admitted. "I just wanted to help someone after... everything."

"I know baby. I know."

There was silence for a moment. Jax spoke first, an answer to a question that never left my lips.

"Elisabeth has taken Diana back to England. She healed but doesn't remember much. We decided it would be best to keep it that way, for everyone's sake."

"Elizabeth's alive?" I had thought she would've been murdered in Angel's attack on the Masons.

"She was in the council room when it happened. Angel never even knew she was there."

"How awful," I whispered. "And Victor?"

Jax just shook his head. "Traumatised after what happened to Diana. He was glad she couldn't remember, because he can recall everything. He was trapped in his mind whilst Ezaryth used his body to rip apart the woman he loved."

"What will happen now then?" I asked.

The council was half gone and Ezaryth was still out there plotting. He still wanted my daughter.

"We'll fix it all back together in time. For now, just let yourself heal."

That sounded like a good idea to me, so I let me eyes fall back shut and let sleep devour me.

For the first time in weeks I dreamt of dark things.

A castle built of shadows loomed in front of me.

Walking out of it was a woman wearing a crown of bones. She had dark hair and eyes like silver moons. Her appearance, her disposition... it was like looking in a mirror.

Her eyes flickered up to meet mine. Her lips formed a word.

"Mother."

A/N- I know the ending feels rushed but I don't want to give away too much information in the first book, if that makes sense? I want to build up some tension, leave you all on a few cliffhangers. Anyway, the next books will be a lot more exciting so stay tuned!