Chapter 01

Pay Me A Good Price For My Breakup

———

Evelyn stared at the noble lady sitting in front of her. The woman had her brown and white hair tied up tightly and sat with a straight back, a harsh look on her face.

“Ignorant and greedy, desiring someone you shouldn’t covet.”

There was nothing new in such an insult, but Evelyn felt the stab to her pride.

“Of course, it’s alright if my grandson was blinded by your beauty for a bit and made a mistake.”

…And naturally, she felt bitter when she was treated as a “mistake.” Evelyn reflected on why she had to hear this.

She was currently courting Islay, the Duke of Neidhart and the most desired bachelor in the empire. As His Majesty’s envoy, the Duke had left the empire on business.

And now the Duke’s grandmother, who had been looking for a chance, had come to chase Evelyn away.

“However, how can I turn this matter over to my grandson?”

Her frosty eyes glared at Evelyn, filled with only contempt.

She raised her voice. “I mean, if you had not acted so pitiful, would my grandson have fallen for you?”

Now this was really unfair.

Evelyn knew she had never tried to seduce Islay, because she was an extreme realist.

She always insisted. ‘I really don’t understand love and courtship.’

‘Eve, what are you saying?’

‘I mean, does romance give me money or food?’

Evelyn’s colleagues who listened looked at her with uncomprehending eyes.

Evelyn really meant it. For many years, her family had been in decline. Her parents, who had never gotten along, had passed away early. Ever since she was young, she had to earn to feed herself, and so she had always desired money over the so-called “sweet romance.”

So when the Duke confessed to her, “Would you like to have a romantic relationship with me?” she had rejected his heart with a sword: “I’m sorry, I have no intention of dating someone.”

But Islay was very persistent.

The most wanted bachelor of the empire, the noblest lord of the empire, the number one knight of the empire…and now among the many titles, he deserved the nickname of ‘the most persistent person in the empire’.

But Islay’s perseverance eventually opened up Evelyn’s closed heart, and she fell in love and began the romance she said she never understood.

Don’t be sad, didn’t I accept his courtship only after thinking that it must end one day?

Evelyn laughed bitterly. In fact, she knew it from the start.

That a poor woman from a fallen noble family and the one and only Duke of the empire did not go together at all. The sweet fantasies are over, it’s time to return to reality.