9. The Abyssal Deep

The little submersible broke the surface and bobbed like a buoy in the open ocean.

Dea opened the top hatch and hoisted herself up to a sitting position. "So far so good..."

The wind smacked her face with a delicious chill, though she had to pull wet hair out of her mouth. Closing her eyes, she inhaled deeply. The toasty touch of sunlight warmed her, and she squinted against the brightness. The never-ending blue of ocean and sky met her gaze all the way to the far horizon.

When she pulled out her ogi, there was no C-wave connection at all this far out in the high seas, but the coordinates she'd keyed in previously helped determine her progress along the northward route. She was halfway there.

Shivers shot down her spine, and her eyes flitted to the deep blue water all around.

"I guess all that's left to do is make the plunge," she said aloud as if to steel herself for the unknown that lay ahead.

Dea sprang to action and unfurled the Little Angler's solar panels. Then she clicked out a command to activate the oxygen refilling mechanism.

While the craft replenished its power and air, Dea slathered on some sunscreen and took a well-earned rest. She touched up her smoky eye makeup, appreciating the imposing touch it lent her face. That was when her stomach started grumbling for sustenance.

Hima had gone all out with the shopping. The duffel bag contained plenty of snacks, ready-made meals and bottled juice. She opted for grain balls wrapped with nori, which turned out to be delicious. Munching on the food, Dea took out her birthday gift. She fingered the sleek blue ribbons, and a smile tugged at her lips. You're the best, Hima!

Inside the box, an Empire Ocean multi-tool pocket knife glinted in the sun.

She took it out eagerly and unfolded the many nifty blades and tools. The emblem of her favorite faction was embossed onto the silver. Her eye caught the note at the bottom of the box.

Hey Dea!

Like it? I thought it'd come in useful for your trip. No need to claw at the food packages, eh? And you can trim your long-ass nails. And if a feral human lunges at you, poke them in the eye.

Good luck!

Hima

Dea giggled and cast a glance at her slender fingers. Trim my nails?

Distant whistles and clicks wafted into her ear, making her spirits surge. She shielded her eyes to scan the area, though no dolphin was to be found. It was so tranquil that the anxiety within ebbed away ever so slightly. She sighed.

The Angler recharged faster than she expected. It emitted a beep as if it couldn't wait to start the last tail of the journey—into the abyssal deep. Her skin prickled with a chill that had little to do with the wind.

"It's time," she announced with a determined nod and gazed out into the distance—as if to imprint the sight to memory. Then she sank into the submersible and secured the hatch.

"Enable autopilot," she commanded with a quick tap on the side-console.

"Autopilot activated," the AI responded in its soft cadence and issued warnings and safety precautions.

She strapped herself to the seat. "I'm ready to go, bot. Start diving."

The craft vibrated to full power mode and dipped beneath the waves. "Dive sequence initiated."