45. The Mighty Wave

ONE MONTH LATER

Dea watched the bubble rings expand and ascend. One. Two. Three.

They were too many to count. Each ring represented a fallen soldier.

A few thousand rings had already floated up, glittering and entwining in the sunbeams. They dissipated into the shimmering surface high above the cerulean blue waters.

The hypnotic spectacle reinforced the lull that permeated the gathering. They were assembled in the Memorial Circle not far from the royal residence. Dea swayed her tail flukes to stay vertical and panned her gaze over the hundred merpeople in black, white and navy blue against the golden beams of Calliathron's sunrise.

The war had ended a month ago. The wounds still ached, but the mind had a way of rebuilding itself—much like an immortal jelly sinking to the seafloor and starting anew.

"Dea," a deep voice burbled to her right.

She turned to look at Talmus Mora, who leaned towards her while the band played the final tribute.

"I just received word that the new human PM has appointed the cabinet," the burly merman said. "He and his envoy will arrive in Calliathron next week."

Dea straightened up. "That's excellent news."

A hundred possibilities whirled in her head as she swayed in the tranquil current. Ever since the peace accord was signed with the new human government, she was caught up in the heady pace of civilization on the cusp of a new era—a preoccupation that helped stay the nightmares.

"I presume it would cause quite the excitement when it's announced," Mora mused almost to himself. "Humans visiting our city. What a time to be alive."

She closed her eyes, trying to contain the emotion that welled up.

The merman added in a low rumble, "This summit would be quite a challenge to organize—we don't have the infrastructure to accommodate human guests."

"We'll have to sort that out soon," Dea said quietly. "I look forward to speaking with the humans on how we will proceed."

"Indeed. I actually spoke with the PM last evening."

"Oh?"

"The consignment of marine grain was met well, and he's very much interested in our solar power tech. He also agreed to facilitate a safe haven for the nomads in order to strengthen bilateral ties. The chosen location is an archipelago to the east of Serendiva."

"That's promising." Dea's eyes lit up. "We can help them develop sustainable industry with marine grass fields—suck tons of carbon from the air, revolutionize the food system and create new jobs for both merpeople and humans."

"It's certainly promising." Mora's face turned pensive. "A mighty wave of change is upon us, and the world will never be the same again. Your reign will be unlike anything Calliathron has seen before, Dea."

She took a sip from her oxy-canister, a smile hovering on her lips. The music swept over those assembled, and a sense of peace hung about the water. A brooding merwoman with a scar on her cheek caught her eye and nodded. Sagari.

"On another note," the merman said. "My family's looking forward to dinner with you and your grandmother."

"Thank you again for the invitation—it's very kind of you." Dea paused. "But I want to make it clear that I'll be visiting as a guest and not for a potential marriage arrangement—contrary to what my grandmother has in mind."