46. The Two Worlds

"This isn't a date or anything!"

Dea's protests fell on deaf ears as Hima's hands fluffed up her hair. The wings on the insect pin waved with the disturbance.

"There." Hima paddled back to scrutinize her work. "We could've done some shopping if you got some advance notice."

"I sort of did?" Dea smoothed her black lace dress with an air of nonchalance.

"Right, well, I could've come early if you called me and said you have a date with the Sea Witch!"

"It's not a date!"

"What is it then?"

Dea tried to smother the butterflyfish schooling in her stomach at the very idea of Anuk actually visiting her in Calliathron. "I don't know what it's about, but Mora's helped to arrange it. I mean, not like Anuk can simply waltz into the city otherwise."

"So you have Mora's blessing?" Hima laughed. "I wonder if Oomie knew anything about this. She didn't mention it."

"Um, no. He was still hopeful I'd like Anemon." Dea wanted to facepalm. "Mora's talked to Anuk on state business, of course, but not like they're buddies for him to help arrange a...date. The very idea would be preposterous, though Mora might've guessed Anuk and I are kinda close."

"Kinda." Hima snorted. "Anyways, I think your ride's here."

Sure enough, Mobula had dutifully arrived to pick her up right on time.

Tingling with excitement, Dea hurried down. Gramma had fallen asleep on the couch, but she slunk past her out of habit. Now was not the time to tell her about Anuk.

When the driver set the course to the outskirts of the city, Dea peered at the map, eyes widening. The destination was none other than Gullwing Resort—the largest hotel in Calliathron.

When they exited the highway, the coralline structures of the compound loomed into view

When they exited the highway, the coralline structures of the compound loomed into view. The main wing was built into a narrow channel that led out to the seagrass meadows. Dea knew that this resort allowed access to the cays and also offered luxurious suites tucked away in coral outcrops.

For the first time in what felt like forever, the pressure eased. Dea savored the moment and sucked in a breath from the oxy-hose.

The submersible veered towards the penthouse, which almost breached the surface. They ascended a roadway through bright blue water, inching ever closer to a dome that contained a VIP lounge. Sunlight flooded its interior lagoon and nurtured lush terrestrial plants.

It might have been a picture from a dreamscape. A few months back, Dea would've had to save up for a year just to afford the basic holiday package, let alone special treatment.

As soon as they were through the airlocks, a merman in uniform hastened to open the vehicle's door for her.

"Thank you," Dea said, gathering the trailing portion of her skirt.