6

The chute screeches to a halt and Nathalia climbs out, noticing the small room was empty.

"Shit, we're late,"

Nathalia steps forward with Eggsy as he stares at the vast underground hangar in front of him. His eyes move over all of the items in the space. Weaponry, all-terrain vehicles, aircrafts. You name it, it was in the hangar.

"Your father had the same look on his face," Harry says. "As did Nat and as did I. Come on"

Nathalia pushes the door open and round the corner to be greeted by the same stern expression she had become comfortable with seeing.

"Galahad. Guinevere," Merlin greets them, a stern expression on his face.

"Our code names," Nathalia whispers to a confused Eggsy who nods.

"Late again," Merlin says and Nathalia shoots him a grin.

"I drove as fast as I could,"

"I'm more than aware," Merlin says. "We had to erase the footage from eight different road cameras"

"Good luck," Harry says to Eggsy.

"In you go," Nathalia gives Eggsy a gentle push before herself and Merlin follow.

"Fall in," Merlin says.

Nathalia watches as Eggsy places his hands in front of himself before looking at his peers and realising that they had their hands behind their back before quickly switching his stance to mimic the rest.

"Ladies and gentlemen, my name is Merlin, and this is Guinevere. You are about to embark on what is probably the most dangerous job interview in the world"

"One of you, and only one of you, will become the next Lancelot," Nathalia says before picking up a body bag. "Can anybody tell me what this is?"

Nathalia turns and points at the boy in the blue jacket.

"Yes?"

"Body bag, ma'am,"

"Correct. Charlie, isn't it?"

"Yes, ma'am,"

"In a moment," Merlin says. "You will each collect a body bag. You will write your name on that bag. You will write the details of your next of kin on that bag. This represents your acknowledgement of the risks that you are about to face as well as your agreement to strict confidentiality-"

"Which, incidentally, if you break," Nathalia chips in. "Will result in you and your next of kin being in that bag"

"Is that understood?" Merlin asks, staring at the candidates in front of him. "Take a bag"

All heads, minus Eggsy's, nod, the latter looking around in surprise at their complete acceptance of possible death.

"The process for this job is dangerous," Nathalia says. "This is because the job you are all competing for is a hundred times more so. If you're not up for it, we like to know early on so we know fewer people are in danger. So if anyone wants to leave, they are more than free to. No judgement"

No one moves from their spots and Nathalia nods.

"Excellent," Merlin says. "Fall out"

"Nat!"

Nathalia turns to face Eggsy as Merlin leaves.

"Am I going to die?" Eggsy asks.

"Not if you're smart," Nathalia whispers. "And you've got an advantage over these toffs anyway"

"And that is?"

"You are street smart," Nathalia says. "You have better survival instincts; you understand loyalty and that is what will allow you to be better than them lot"

Eggsy grins at her before adopting her hushed tone.

"Feel like giving me a kiss? It will make me feel better,"

"In your dreams," Nathalia whispers and he pouts.

Nathalia looks to make sure none of the other recruits are looking before pressing a quick kiss to Eggsy's cheek and leaving the room.

"You like him,"

"Shut up Merlin," Nathalia says, shoving the man gently. "Any word on our professor?"

"No changes," Merlin says, pressing a button so the screen is mirrored on the wall. "Still attending all of his lectures on time, no strange behaviour. It is as if he was never taken. No signs of paranoia, no jumpiness"

"So, he's taken by someone," Nathalia hypothesises, walking back and forth and moving her hands around as she does so. "He's scared, probably even terrified, he watches a few men be killed and watches Lancelot be cut in half by a person or persons unknown until whoever is responsible for the kidnapping explains why he's taken him. Then he realises-"

"They share the same viewpoint," Merlin says, quickly typing on the iPad. "So, he's now in an alliance with whoever kidnapped him?"

"I mean it's just a theory," Nathalia shrugs. "But it's the most logical one. He shows none of the usual signs of a kidnap victim"

"Any chance I could get you to find information about the Gaia Theory?"

"You do know how I love to spend my Saturday nights," Nathalia says sarcastically and Merlin chuckles.

"At least doing research, you aren't causing any havoc,"

"Always ruining my fun,"

"Someone has to,"