Frankie

That night, Charles was insistent that he got to choose the restaurant. On another occasion, perhaps she would have argued, but right now she was just happy to be with him. 

Penelope checked her phone as Charles pulled into the parking lot of a little Italian restaurant, just on the outskirts out town. It was busy, tables full of couples and smiling families enjoying each others company. She didn't feel the need to look up as she asked, "Do you want me to wait in the car?"

"What do you mean?"

When she looked up, he was staring at her with a confused expression. "Well I just figured we were doing takeout."

"Why?"

Now it was Penelope's turn to be confused. "People take pictures of me wherever I go, Charles. The minute they get to the press, everything changes."

He shrugged. "I don't care."

"I do. People have an opinion on literally everything I do. I'm not gonna force you into that."

Charles reached over and took her hand, squeezing it reassuringly. "You're not forcing me into anything. Plus, as I say, I don't care what people think. I only care what you think."

"Charles, I-"

"Plus, I rented out the private room in the back, so no one will see us anyway."

A wave of relief washed over Penelope, carrying her back to the shore. She liked Charles, she was in too deep to deny that now, but she wasn't ready to be in the public eye with him just yet. They were too new, too inexperienced, to withstand that right now. 

"Thank you," she whispered. "Seriously."

"Oh, it was nothing. Just a few hundred selfies and a deposit that I billed to Ferrari under business expenses. Don't tell Mattia about that."

She leaned over and kissed him. "Promise."

******************

They got to the table without any major troubles. Inside, it was beautiful. The walls were laden with postcards and pictures from Italy, flame-lit lanterns hanging on the ceiling. Colourful flowers sat in vases, filling the space with an enticing scent, like they were walking straight into a garden in the middle of Venice. They held hands as they walked to the table, Penelope's worries long forgotten as they entered their safe haven. 

When they sat down, Penelope caught Charles staring at her. "What?" she asked him. 

"You look so beautiful. I don't tell you that enough."

Penelope hid her face with her hands, embarrassed. "I'm wearing gym gear, my hair is greasy, I smell like an ice rink-"

"Penelope," Charles stated plainly, holding her gaze. "I don't care what you're wearing, or what you smell like. You always look beautiful to me. There hasn't been a moment since I first saw you when I didn't think you were the most beautiful girl I've ever seen."

She couldn't help but be lost for words. No guy she'd ever dated had spoken about her like this. It was a foreign feeling, and as a result, she had no idea how to react. Before she could fully think it through, her words began to spill out like water being released from a dam. "I really like you," she blurted. "Like really, like you. And I know it's only been a few days, which is weird because it normally takes ages for me to even be able to tolerate a guy but there's just something about you that's different. And I'm not asking you to be my boyfriend or anything because it is way too soon, but I'd really like to hang out again. If you're up for it."

Charles was silent for a moment, which did nothing to help Penelope's nerves. Just as she was beginning to think she'd definitely said too much, he spoke. 

"Sure."

Penelope stared at him, eyes wide. "You're kidding, right? I said all of that, and all you have to say is 'sure'?"

He gave her a pointed smile. "If it were up to me, I'd be taking to to Bahrain with me next month, but I'm following your lead and taking it slow."

That sparked her interest. "Bahrain?"

Charles nodded, taking her hand over the table. "First race of the season. I'm heading back to Monaco next week to start pre-season training."

Penelope tried her best to hide her disappointment. "Monaco...that's pretty far from LA."

"Well...if you're up for it, I was thinking you could come over to visit one weekend. I could show you around, give you a tour of the best places in Monte Carlo. Then you can make good on that promise and come racing with me."

"I'll make you a deal. You take me to Bahrain at the start of the season so that I can watch you in action, and I'll take the long, long flight to come visit you in Monaco. But you have to promise we'll talk everyday, because I am not getting on that plane if I haven't heard from you in two weeks."

"You drive a hard bargain, Miss Jonas."

"Is that a yes, or..."

He rolled his eyes, but there was a flirtatious twinkle in them. "Deal. You're going to love Monaco. I'll give you some French lessons and-"

A sudden buzzing from Penelope's pocket cut the conversation short. She checked the caller ID, and her heart quickly sank to the bottom of her stomach. She didn't even have to think twice about answering it. 

"I'm sorry," she told Charles, "I have to take this. I'll be back in a minute."

She didn't have time to wait for his reply. She was already halfway to the door, phone to her ear, practically running to get outside and out of earshot. 

"Hello?" she said quickly, her nails digging into her palm so hard she thought she might be bleeding. "Frankie, are you there?"

"Nell?" the drunken voice of her brother mumbled on the other end of the line. "I was wondering if you'd answer. Look at that! You did. You really are the b-best."

Penelope tried her hardest not to panic. "Frankie, just tell me where you are. Are you at home? I thought you were staying with Joe."

"Gah! No. Joe was boring, kept talking about going to meetings and all that bullshit. I told him straight, I don't need anyone bossing me about. I am all good, buddy."

"Frankie, please just focus on what I'm saying, okay? Where are you?"

"Well, that's easy. I'm at your house. At least, I think it's your house. They all look the same at night. Ha!"

Penelope put her head in her hand, her eyes stinging. Her thoughts were racing, impossible to think straight. "Just stay where you are. I'll be home in fifteen minutes."

"Okey dokey, Nellie-Boo."

"Promise me you won't go anywhere."

"Ah, whatever. I promise. Drive safe!"

The line went dead. Penelope hunched over, her chest heaving like she was going to be sick. There was no time. She needed to call her brothers, to tell them what was going on, but there was just no time. She needed to leave, now, but she didn't have a car. That was easy to fix, in less than a minute she'd booked an uber, one less problem to worry about. She had to go, that was all she could think about. She had to go. 

When she walked through the door, Charles took one look at her face and his expression changed. "Hey," he said gently, reaching to take her arm. "What happened? What's the matter?"

"I'm so sorry," she rambled, grabbing her coat from the back of the chair and shrugging it on. "I have to go. Something's come up, and I have to go."

Charles's soft green eyes were full of concern. "Is there anything I can do?"

Penelope bit her lip, hard, trying her best not to cry in front of him. "No, honestly. I just have to go, I'm sorry." She threw her arms around him, hugging him tightly. 

"Penelope-"

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry." She backed away, shaking her head. "I'll call you."

Outside, the uber hit the horn, and their time was up. She turned her back, rushing to the car, her heart breaking a fraction more with every painful step she took. 

*****************