Chapter 4

Monday the twentieth, I was in my office filling out paper work that I had to fax by five that afternoon. I was wearing a white button up with a black tie along with black pants. It was four forty-two pm when Linda lightly knocked on my office door and walked in.

"You are one hard working man, Mr. Carter." She said in a seductive voice as she slowly walked up to me. She was wearing a light blue blouse that was tucked into her black skirt that rose above her knees.

"Why yes, work does keep a man busy." I started faxing the papers by this point.

"Well, not only a man, but a women as well, Mr. Carter." Wearing the same scarlet red lipstick, outlined with crimson red. Two different shades of red.

The sight of her repulsed me, she was like every women and man that has walked this earth. Humans are selfish, disguising, self centered, sinful, vile creatures. The devil was a fallen angel, an angel by the name of Lucifer, who denied god and fell from heaven. Devils are beautiful just like angels, but devils are the ones that roam this earth, acting as humans. She was one of them, one of those beautiful devils.

That evening, I left the same time as Linda, without her knowing. I kept my distance from her, walking exactly fifteen feet behind her at all time. She lived three blocks away from the office building we both worked at. Her house was a brownstone townhouse and the street was lined with leafless trees at the time. I stood behind a set of brick stairs five houses down, watching her as she was greeted by the same man I saw her sitting across from at the greek restaurant. I watched as he opened the door, he wore a dark grey suit with a white button up underneath and his dark blonde hair was slicked back. It seemed as if he just got home from work only a few minutes before her.

Another devil, another fifty devil. Just like my mother, just like Nina Cassidy, just like Isabelle Dionne, and just like Jennifer Johnson.

For the next four weeks, I still spent every Friday evening with Linda; going out to a restaurant, having three glasses of whisky, having sex, then sending her home in a taxi. And each week day throughout those four weeks, I followed her home. Watching her every move. Each Tuesday after work she would stop by the grocery store that was located a block before her house. The normal items she would end up buying were: a loaf of rye bread, a gallon of whole milk, four pounds of turkey, a block of pepper jack cheese, two bags of chips, a dozen eggs, and a few boxes of heat up meals.

Saturday 25th, the last Saturday of the month. I woke up at seven in the morning, drank my glass of room temperature water and finished my morning routine by seven twenty-three. That day, I wore my light brown collar neck shirt with brown khakis and a long brown coat. I called over a cab, having it drop me off by the office building I worked at. From there, I walked the four blocks it took in order to get to Linda's house. Then, I waited from a far. For two hours and nineteen minutes, until she finally walked out, along with her husband. I was standing across the street, behind one of the leafless trees. I waited for them to pass me before I started following. She was wearing tight dark blue jeans with an emerald green long sleeves shirt and a brown vest. As for her husband, he was wearing a plaid button up and light blue jeans.

I followed them two blocks down to a cafe, where they sat across from one another for an hour and three minutes, as they drank hot coffee. Next, they walked another two blocks to a clothing store and thirty minutes later, Linda and her husband walked out with two shopping bags. Both bags being held by her husband. By that time, it was a few minutes past noon. They walked another block to a burger shop, where they ate at for forty six minutes. Afterwards, they spent one hour and nineteen minutes sitting on the grass at central park, across from the lake. They kissed six times, the longest kiss being for twelve seconds. By three in the afternoon, they walked back inside their town house and as for I, I went back to my house and drank two glasses of whiskey that night while reading Crime and Punishment, then went to bed by eleven.

They did not have children, meaning they were either recently married or they were not fond with the idea of being parents. Maybe they liked the way things were, just the two of them- or should I say, now the three.

Red, the devil's color. Isaiah 1:18 in the The Holy Bible states, "Come now, and let us reason together," Says the LORD, "Though your sins are as scarlet, They will be white as snow; Through they are red like crimson, They will be like wool." A women in Revelations chapter 17, who is impure due to her sexual immorality, wears a scarlet dress. In biblical times, the devil is depicted as wearing scarlet red. Scarlet, a bright shade of red that can sometimes appear with a slight orange tinge. A bold color, one a beautiful devil would wear every day- as did she.

Scarlet red lips, outlined with crimson red. Every day out of the week, her lips were outlined with dark red, shaded in with bright red lipstick.

Impure. An impure women. Who committed the worst sin of all, sexual immorality.