08 : the murder

KAMIL PRACTICALLY KICKS ME OUT OF HIS HOUSE. He would defend himself by saying that he was doing it for me, but I would not buy his lie. Just kidding. I understand his motives, but that does not mean I have to appreciate them. I never expected Kamil to be such a, well, decent person. Even while kicking me out, he has some kind of remorse in his dark eyes. I almost melted, then he wished to not see me for a few days or, if possible, years. My melted form froze back up again. Maybe not much of a decent person, but it was something that warmed my heart. A feeling I do not feel with Elliot these days.

But I could worry about me and Elliot later. I switched on my phone to see billions (8) calls from my sister. I exhaled before tying my faith to having no fast food for a month. When I reached home, the clock struck 6 in the morning. The light from the kitchen is pouring out on the passage floor. My mom is sleeping on the chair with her mouth out, and my other mom (Val) is mindlessly scrolling through social media. The moment I step into the room, I get knocked on the door by a hug.

"Woah, tiger. I am alright."

Valerie pulls back before squinting her eyes. "Where the fuck were you? Do you understand how worried we were, Avery?" She hits my arm, almost knocking me off. "Mom was minutes away from calling the police."

I roll my eyes at her words: "Yeah, but did she? She literally does not give a fuck. I am going to go change before she gets up in my ass. You go to sleep."

"You really don't understand this, Avery, do you?" My sister shot me a look, stopping me. "Mom pays the bills even if you hate her. She does everything she can for us. We live in one of the richest neighborhoods. I studied at the best medical college, and you will also receive the best education because she cares. Can you think about someone else who's not you? I do realize that isn't there for us, but Avery lives alone, so she could give us the life we probably don't even deserve."

"Bro, why are we even talking about it?" My eyes darted at the kitchen where she sat awake to the words of Val. My sister seemed to understand and rushed to fill a glass. Before making my way up, I called her out, "I am going to go and freshen up. Don't make me breakfast. I ate at a friend's."

When the burning, hot water touched my skin, it jolted me into consciousness. I take a deep breath before I let my skin turn red. Dad would be so angry if I disappeared like this. If he were here, he would take away my phone and ground me for a month. But at the same time, there wouldn't be a chance to do this. If dad were here, I wouldn't have to go to a party to clear my head. He was always present. For me, at least. That was when I wasn't out. Dad loves his youngest daughter, and I love him back. Mom and I would still fight when he was here, but dad would convince me to make up with him.

I try to recall the last time I saw him. When was it? He moved out of the house before even mom got custody to have me and Val. I did not even go to the court because I had a state-level lacrosse competition. That was the last day Val saw our dad. She loved Mom more, and she always wanted to be independent and intelligent like her. My dad was kinder and more emotional. He would sway if I cried too much for a little treat. Mom would never budge. I remember Mom always being angry, with a stoic expression on her face that only Dad could melt. But even that effect started to fade as I reached adolescence, and I never asked why.

After the bath, I head downstairs. Mom still sits on the kitchen table. She opens her mouth, but I cut her off before she even gets a chance to speak a word. "Why did you and dad divorce?"

Valerie pokes her head from the other room and says, "Avery."

"God, Val. What the fuck?" Mom flinches upon hearing me curse, "You want to make up with me, right, mom? At least tell me why you and your dad divorced. I am seventeen, and I don't know why my parents parted ways. Even a thirteen-year-old should know why their parents aren't with each other anymore. Why don't we have Dad's address or contact information? For fucks sake, I loved my father, and I don't even know if he is alive anymore or not."