09 : fairy pixie dust

KAMIL QURESHI

TURTLENECKS AND GOOD GRADES ARE MY NEW OBESSIONS. Not so much about good grades because I am already in AP Calculus BC, AP Chemistry, AP Physics C, and AP Art History. I share AP Physics C and AP Calculus BC with Avery, while he is also in AP Computer Science. He might convince you that he is a straight B student, but he is one of those kids who lies about their grades, unlike me. I love boasting about my grades; they are a product of my hard work, and I have all rights to be proud of them. Avery and I have one thing in common, and that is being sh*t in history, which we both wanted to drop but the school refused to. I have no idea how it works, but the project is important for both of us to maintain our GPA. And my personal view is that I have been rocking the turtleneck. Good dressing sense is important if you want to get a favor from a teacher. They must understand that you are serious. So serious that even your dad comments on how well dressed you are.

I leave early for school, texting my friends that I will not be sharing a car with them today. They sent me a photo of theirs behind the school building, asking for me to join them. When I join them, Kate kicks the ground. The air feels colder here, so I stuff my hands in my pocket. Libby and Matthew smoke their blunts.

"Guys, what happened?"

Libby lights another cigarette and says, "You would know if you were not involved so much with that bitch, Kamil."

"Have a seat, Kamil." Behind me, Page speaks with a soft voice. It was almost as if she was afraid that someone would snap at her. She was the calmest member of the group. Well, she and Peter were. But Peter was gone for this chess competition this week, leaving Page alone to be a punching bag. She fills me in: "Ramos, Matthew, and a few other kids got in for an interschool coding seminar that is held by Ivy Leagues. But Kate didn't."

Kate's jaw clenches, and her eyes turn red. "I worked for this so fucking hard. I only had one chance, and that bitch took it away as well." Her skin turns red. "Do you know what the fuck Mr. Abigail said to me? Avery's work was simply fucking better. He already has fucking everything. If he wants, he can make it to the national teams for lacrosse, but that stupid fucking bitch had to take what I like." There are a lot of people the group resents. But Avery? The hatred in Kate's mind runs deeper than for anyone. As she puts it, she was always struggling to be the best, but she could never be. Kate left Avery alone in junior year when she found her interest in coding, but when she realized that Avery joined in as well, she swore to make his life hell.

As much as I wanted to console Kate, I have to talk to Ms. Blatt about the project that was to be given today. None of them are in history with me. I leave the group, making the excuse that I want to talk to Ms. Blatt, which is not a lie. I do have to meet her, but not now. I walk into the school, which has not yet started. People are swarming in the corridors; I got a text from Avery.

AVERY:
STEADY YOURSELF BITCH.

Before I get a chance to decode the text, someone slaps my shoulder, making a loud noise that turns the heads of our classmates. I turn around to see Avery bouncing on his toes. My ears start to ring when he says, "I got into the seminar! Let's go!."

"Yeah, I already know."

Avery starts walking with me. "How?"

"Doesn't matter. Are you prepared for today?"

"Yes, but history grades do not really matter anymore. This seminar also has a workshop for merit students. Don't tell it to anyone; I found that out through some strings. This can be, like, the greatest thing ever. I cannot believe it. I did the coding in 16 hours, and that too by pulling an all-nighter. God, it was worth all my sleep." Avery continues to yap about this, and I cannot help but feel a little distaste. Did it really not take Avery a lot of effort? Kate and I have been friends since middle school; she is a hard worker. And she has a reason to hate Avery. He has everything that she doesn't. As friends, we all grew to dislike him, and he also has a rude personality. He used to be rude to everyone in his sophomore year. That being said, he also ruined her sixteenth birthday accidentally. We tried to convince Kate that it wasn't his fault, but her anger surpasses all limits. Does he really deserve more than Kate? Does he deserve what I will be doing to him?"? Did you zone out?"