Chapter 2

Each of these aforementioned jobs paid 30 liras an hour, which was above the Imperial Minimum Wage. After working as an apprentice, he started officially working 9 hours, two days a week. From 9a, Norman worked at all of these jobs thanks to a duplicating magic that he mastered on his travels one day. Soon he made enough to help Beth pay the mortgage, however the Bank started increasing the price because of a brief recession. Previously, the two roomates paid only 570 thousand liras. Now, they had to pay 700 thousand to the bank, or her farm will be foreclosed. Eventually, it did happen and the two roomates lived with her family in a nameless village in western Alvarez. Then Spriggan II became emperor and he heard rumours of a powerful mage. Interested, he searched for him and when he found Norman, he put his magic to the test by challenging him to a Hundred Year Quest.In exchange for being promoted to the Spriggan Twelve, an elite position of advisors and generals loyal to the Emperor, Norman was to infiltrate the city-state of Dragnof, in Ishgar. Rumors reached Emperor Spriggan of a trade embargo placed by the King of Dragnof, Henry the Bold. Greece, Pergrande, Minstrel, and Joya placed an embargo of their own and trade came to a halt. While in Dragnof, he discovered that the King had uncovered a weapon powerful enough to destroy empires. It was a magic cannon he dubbed, Etherion. Currently, Alvarez and Dragnof were in a cold war against each other. All it took was one spark to heat it up into full-fledged warfare.

Norman hurried back to Vistarion and passed the news to the Emperor. He was angry and declared war on the city-state of Dragnof, Pergrande, Greece, Minstrel, and Joya. With Norman's promotion to the Spriggan Twelve, he spearheaded an invasion of Dragnof's capital, Thrace. After a three-week siege, the city fell under Alvarez control and the King of Dragnof was captured. During captivity, the Emperor demanded he lift the embargo or lose the throne. King Henry chose not to listen to his demands, so he was dethroned then promptly executed by magical firing squad. Spriggan crowned himself King of Dragnof, which effectively colonized it as an imperial territory.