Chapter Two

I blink once, twice, repeatedly just to make sure I am seeing right. I am. I lift my head and when I do, I lock eyes with the one person I simultaneously want to see the most and not see at all. My boss.

I'm a hundred percent sure my face portrays my disbelief as I push open the doors and walk into the building. Does he despise me that much? Firing me when he could see that I was only outside the glass doors.

I'm pretty sure he did it just because he's trying to get rid of me. That, or it was just a power play. I can't tell with him.

Shawn, my boss—ex-boss actually, what a fucking joke—expels a sigh at my arrival and speaks before I even get the chance to get a word out. "You got my text, didn't you? Why are you in here?"

I don't know whether to scream at him or plead with him, but then I think about Lucas and how hard it'll be to find a new job in record time. It's not like we'll suddenly go broke if I don't get my paycheck this month, but I don't want to have to start chirping at my savings bit by bit. It's stored away for Lucas' education.

"I'm sorry. Please, let me explain." I plead, even if I don't like that idea. He spares me a glance, hands over a file to the receptionist, and starts walking away. I grit my teeth in annoyance, but shake off my pride and follow after him. I still need my job after all. "Mr. Landon, one more chance."

He doesn't stop walking as he answers me. "You'll still be late tomorrow, as well as the rest of the weekdays. What exactly is the chance for?"

I won't admit it, but he gets me there. Lucas is a handful in the mornings because he is not a morning person, so it usually takes me a while to wake him up and get him ready. And then, there's also the fact that he gets distracted easily, which means dressing up takes more time than it should, as well as other morning rituals.

"I told you the other day, Ms. Jennings," he continued, acting formally for the public eye, "one more time and you're fired, but it seems like you want to be fired."

"I was barely five minutes late!"

"Five useful minutes wasted." He inputs nonchalantly as he adjusts his tie. When we get to the elevator, he nods towards it and I press the button for it. "It was a fair deal. Come late, get fired. I don't why you're pestering me. Other people that actually need your job and will do it better are out there!"

"I try my best to get here early!" I snap when we enter the elevator and it closes, leaving both of us alone and away from the eavesdropping ears and prying eyes.

"Not hard enough apparently."

"You know my situation!"

"While I know of your situation, I am not responsible for it and I can't be partial in a place of work. I'm not the one that knocked you up, Aria."

'You want to though, don't you?' I say in my head. I take a few deep breaths and remind myself that he is still my boss and only he has the power to give me back my job. When I started working here, I was meant to start by 8:30. Suddenly, Mr. Landon changed my time. I don't know if it was important for him to do so or because of a personal vendetta against me.

"You made your bed. Now, lie on it and stop pestering me."

My tongue pokes the inside of my cheek. Does he really want to get rid of me? I'm one of the best at what I do. "So you're not going to reconsider?"

He glances at me, noticing my voice has softened, and sighs. "Let's get to my office and I'll make my final decision."

Hope blossoms in my chest. I won't have to go searching for a new job. I probably should, but at least, it isn't urgent anymore. I don't have to worry about not getting as much as I get here and I don't have to worry about money for Lucas' education.