Chapter Twenty Two

"Why would you let Lucas wander off alone?" That is the first thing I ask when we enter the office and see Gabriel standing by his transparent wall that gives him a magnificent view of the city. Immediately, Lucas leaves me and runs for Gabriel's side, taking a hold of his hand. I resist scoffing.

"I offered to come to get you," Lucas admits.

"So you lied?"

"Sorry, mommy." Just like Gabriel, he's no longer looking at me. He's staring outside the transparent glass. I stare at their backs for a while. It's starting to get addictive seeing both of them together. Is this because I admitted to liking him some days back? Is that why I don't fancy being in his presence much? Because I don't like the way my body reacts to him.

I don't know what, but something compels me to bring out my phone and take a picture of them, and I do. Gabriel turns around immediately, catching me with my phone up in my hand. He cocks his head in amusement. "Did you just take a picture of us?"

My face turns red in embarrassment as he walks toward me. Lucas stays back for once. "You guys look good together."

"We do, don't we?" I step back when he's getting a little too close and he stops, chuckling to himself. "How about we all get matching outfits? We'd all look good together, no?"

My eyes bulge, almost falling out of their sockets. What in the world is he implying? Why can't he just be like every other man and be straightforward?

More importantly, do I still want him to be straightforward after what his father told me? If his father could see that Gabriel fancied me, did that mean all his employees could as well since we all worked in the same space? Do I want to risk all that and pursue this thing with him? Was it worth it?

"That would be so cool!" Lucas jumps in, answering for me. "When I went to Ally's house the other day, I saw their family picture and they were all wearing matching outfits, even her elder twin siblings that are in high school"

I hiss quietly — I'm sure Gabriel hears it because he laughs at me — because Lucas really talks so much. He most likely got it from Matt as I know I don't talk as much. "But we're not a family," I tell Lucas. "Ours is different."

"It wouldn't be if you'd have me," Gabriel whispers the last part for only me to hear. It makes my head spin. It makes my breath quicken. Is that a code for something? Is this his fucked up way of asking me out? Has he already accepted Lucas?

With Gabriel, there are too many questions that I can't ask out loud, which is why I shake my head to rid myself of the thoughts and change the subject. "Why aren't you in your suit from this morning?"

When I came in, I was too busy admiring him to notice he was putting on a casual outfit; a shirt, jeans, and a hoodie, somehow matching Lucas' hoodie and jeans. Don't tell me he changed for Lucas.

He smiles wickedly like he knows what I'm doing. Does he know he is messing with my head? Is he doing it on purpose? "It got ruined."

"And you just happen to have that," I gesture to his outfit, "laying around?"

"No, darling." He says cheekily, not caring that Lucas may hear him and have the wrong idea. "But the fact that my penthouse is right above us might have been a help."

"So that's what the last floor is." I take note, but, "so you work and live in this building. Isn't that depressing?"

"I make it work, love."

"Can you stop calling me those?" I finally point out. It's not like I don't like hearing him call me those. It's the fact that I like it a little too much. He is my employer. I shouldn't like it. Besides, I've been warned to stay away from him already. Him making me like him even more won't make me stay away.

"Calling you what?"

"Love, darling, sweetheart. All those cute ass names," I whisper yell. Knowing Lucas, he is bound to listen in on our conversation.

"Oh, so you find them cute?"

"Why did you want me here?" I change the subject again when the last one doesn't work in my favor. From my peripheral, I watch Lucas claim Gabriel's chair. As if that's not enough, he picks up the iPad on the table, unlocks it with the pattern, and starts playing a racing game on it. I want to complain, but that is the least of my problems right now.

"I have been watching you."

"What?"

"We," he points to Lucas and himself, "have been watching you and you seem troubled. Are you sick? We saw you rushing to the restroom and on the phone. Did you hear bad news?"

"Gabriel!" I scold.

"Yes, baby?"

"I said not—" I stop and take a breather. There's no need to bother because he won't listen. He never does. "Why were you watching me? That's an invasion of privacy."

"There are cameras there for a reason and I own the company."

"That doesn't mean you should watch me, it's creepy."

"Is it?" He takes a step forward. I glance at Lucas. He's still occupied with Gabriel's iPad. For now, I'm grateful for that. I don't want Gabriel to know that close proximity with him makes my brain go haywire, so I don't move backward. I'm sure he finds pleasure in this as he brings his hand forward, touching my cheek. I subconsciously lean into his touch. I don't want to encourage him, but my body betrays me. "Stop changing the subject. Tell me what's wrong."

I shake my head softly. I don't want to tell him about his father. It may cause more problems between the two apparently stubborn men. "Nothing. Nothing is wrong."

"Do we have to go through this again or can you forget I can tell when you're lying?"

I sigh. I did forget. Gabriel can be impossible sometimes. "It's nothing you need to worry about." I rephrase, closing my eyes to get away from his inquisitive gaze.

"Open your eyes." He orders and I find myself doing exactly that. "Are you sure? Maybe, I can make it go away? I don't like to see you stressed, love." He caresses my cheek as if trying to draw the truth out of me.

But if he can make it go away, why don't I tell him? I don't know when that meal with my parents will happen, but if Gabriel can resolve it before then, it'll be great for everyone, right?

I finally pull away from him and he doesn't come closer, folding his arms in a domineering stance and waiting for me to talk. "Come on, Aria. Talk to me."

"Why didn't you come for dinner on Tuesday?"

If it's because he has been babysitting Lucas, then that's another matter to handle, but Gabriel reeks of pure confusion. "What dinner?"

His confusion makes me confused. "The one with your father?"

His demeanor changes and his blue-green eyes flash green. "You had dinner with my father?" He doesn't even wait for an answer from me. "What the fuck did he tell you that's making you unsettled? I swear, if he did anything to you—"

"He didn't do anything." I cut him off, already hearing the hostility in Gabriel's voice. It seems like his relationship with the man is already fickle. Anything can push it over the edge. "He only 'advised' me to quit working for you and that he'll help me find another job with better pay."

Gabriel's anger doesn't diminish and I haven't even told him the bad part. "Did you agree?"

"No. He said I'll regret it and that I shouldn't risk something happening to me or Lucas."

Lucas' ears perk up at his name and he looks at Gabriel and I for a bit before going back to his game. Then, Gabriel snaps. "That fucking bastard." And I have to physically restrain him.