Two

Houston

The only thing I needed after today was to go to the bar, only by myself. I did not want to see Beckett, Gus, and definitely not that girl who seemed to own any room she walked into. Damn, for only being here less than a day she was already becoming a thorn in my side.

Once I parked by the only bar in town, I got out of the truck and headed inside, preparing to run into almost everyone I knew. Sometimes, I missed how you could disappear in Fort Worth without anyone knowing, but I swore to myself I would never return.

I couldn't go back there, anymore.

The bartender met my eyes once I walked in, already grabbing a beer as I took a seat at the counter. She asked, "Just you, today?"

In reply, I nodded and replied, "Only me. Thanks, anyway."

"Just doing my job," she said, her eyes landing further down the bar counter. "Now, if you don't mind, I have to call some people to pick up Bill over there."

As she walked away, I leaned over the counter to see the old man who looked too drunk to drive. I took another swig of beer, not noticing that two girls entered the same bar as the much shorter, brunette took a seat next to me.

I asked, quiet enough that only the girl heard me, "Are you even old enough to be here?"

"Are you old enough to be here?" She countered back as I turned to give her my full attention, completely startled by her appearance.

I replied stuttering, "Y-Yes. I am old enough, Cassidy."

"Well, my birthday's in two months. It's close enough, right?"

"No," I replied with a deadpanned look, as Cassidy stared me down with her green eyes. "But I won't tell anyone that you were here."

"Awesome, thank you," she exclaimed in a happier voice than before, and I knew immediately I was tricked. "You're becoming my favorite person, Houston."

Even though I hated when people hugged me, I did not mind at all as she wrapped her arms around me quickly, then left without another word to join her other friend. As I watched her walk back to her friend on the other end of the bar, I hadn't noticed when two people sat next to me.

Beckett asked, noticing me staring at Cassidy, "Are you staring at my sister?"

I glanced back at Beckett and Gus, who were looking in the same direction that I was. I could admit that I was staring, but she was much younger than me and also an annoyance.

Instead, I lied, already feeling the sweat down my back, "No. No, I was looking at that deer head on the wall."

Beckett shrugged his shoulders as Gus questioned, "You've just noticed that thing? You come here all the time."

I replied quickly, "Yep."

Please stop asking questions.

Thankfully, Gus did not have any more questions for me as I stood up from the bar counter, beer in hand, and walked closer to the doors outside. If I could, I would do everything to avoid her at all costs.

But somehow, I couldn't.

What piqued my interest though was when every guy in the bar seemed to approach Cassidy and her friend by their table. I watched one guy after another approach their table, try to flirt with them, and be turned away before they even had the chance. 

As the next guy approached their table, I took the seat first as I muttered, "Sorry, man. Better luck next time."

Once I glanced at the girls in front of me, they both stared at me like I was a stranger they never met before. And in hindsight, I probably was to them.