Five

Cassidy

When Houston awkwardly left the arena the other day, the only thought that popped into my mind was that he hated me. Maybe I was just Beckett's annoying, little sister to him. That is how everyone sees me, always living in the shadow of my older brother.

Beckett was nice, optimistic, and always knew how to make everyone feel included. Everyone in our family and in our town loved him, and I was always left out of everything - unless Beckett invited me personally. After all, my only friend was Avery.

Maybe that's all I will ever be to Houston - his best friend's little sister.

I sat down with the two mugs of coffee, handing one to Avery who already seemed more rattled than the last time I saw her. I began the conversation, not afraid to voice my opinion, "Avery, you should break up with Josh. You're obviously not happy, anymore."

She took a sip from the coffee, the cup lingering by her lips for a moment longer. I knew Avery for eight years, which meant I knew when she wanted to avoid something in her life. Finally, she spoke her voice hoarse, "He's all I've ever known. The only people close to me I have left are you, Beckett, and Josh. I love him - I really do, but... it's hard."

The words tumbled out of my mouth before I could reel myself in, and I blurted out, "Avery, Josh doesn't treat you right. We all see it. Remember when he never bothered to come to your eighteenth birthday party? Or your nineteenth? Or your sixteenth?"

"I know," Avery clammed up, as she retreated upon herself and her shoulders dropped. "We've been together for almost five years, Cass. I can't forget that, and then I'll be starting completely over. With someone, who doesn't know everything about me."

Except Josh barely knew anything about her. Mostly because Avery didn't like talking about her own life.

I couldn't sway the topic to be too serious, knowing that Avery would shut up completely. From the moment I met Avery in seventh-grade science class, I always saw that she had these walls she built up around her. It had taken over eight years, and I still feel like I barely chipped away at anything.

I did what I always did when the conversation got too serious for her. I changed the subject.

I looked outside of the house, where Houston was spraying Beckett with the hose with the biggest smile on his face. He looked happier than I have ever seen him before like he was actually having fun. I asked Avery, "Are you ready for the rodeo tonight?"

Avery immediately beamed at the change of subject, her words falling out of her mouth as she said, "Yes, I've been practicing all month. You know, whenever Beckett would let me. I don't think Houston likes me that much."

At the mention of his name, my head turned to the tall guy by the barn, an innocent smile on his face and Beckett being mad at him. I asked curiously, "What do you mean that he doesn't like you?"

"He doesn't seem to acknowledge me much," Avery replied, her eyes landing on Houston who immediately spotted us. "But I think he really likes you."

"Me? No, Houston does not like me. That's impossible."

Her lips quirked up into a smirk, not buying anything that I was saying. Of course, Avery would insist that there was something between Houston and me.

Which there was not.

"Have you seen the way he says your name?" Avery asked, leaning back in the chair and perfecting her Houston impression, complete with the deep, gravelly voice. "He always says it like 'hey Cassidy.'"

I broke out laughing at Avery's impression of Houston and answered, "That does not sound like him."

The same deep, gravelly voice approached the porch, almost scaring me and causing me to jump out of my chair. Houston asked, "What doesn't sound like who?"