3 : Rubik's Cube

The next day was utterly typical. Daniel did the same chores, but it was not exhausting because he did an excellent cleaning yesterday.

Then the afternoon came suddenly, and the heat wave was going strong. The boy grabbed a soda can from the fridge, hissed it open, and beat the heat. He once again swung the fridge door open and looked for something. It was crowded inside, filled with frozen products-boxed juices, sterilized milk, vegetables, fruits, and the like. The cold inside was inviting and comforting, easing the torturous heat brought by the cruel sunshine and failing ozone.

His attention was captured by a scarlet apple peeking behind the jars of pickled fruits. He stretched out his fingers between the narrow space of two jars, flicked the apple inwards, then grasped it. He examined the apple at the level of his eyes, turning it slowly with his fingers, meticulously, oddly. The outside appeared fresh, luring, and playing tricks on the beholder, inviting him to have a bite. But by upturning the apple-a hole was discovered. Underneath the seductive peel entombed a writhed worm feasting the succulent rotten flesh. Rotten like my life, he bleakly thought. He pitched the cursed apple to the trash bin, and the fruit disappeared into its pitch-black belly. Daniel stayed longer, standing by the open refrigerator, mesmerized by the crawling swirls of cold fog pecking his toes.

The doorbell chimed, and it bounced at every corner of the house. Daniel remembered that he had forgotten to close the gate, but the surprising ringing got him all excited. He wished his dad had come down from the ISS just to see him—a chance to make a bit of harmonious noise in their quiet home and feel a warm, tight hug. He pushed the fridge's door close, sprinted across the kitchen, turned left, passed the stairs, and dashed over the sofas in the living room.

Daniel could not hide his excitement, hearing the second melodic chimes ringing through his ear canals. Someone was outside, and that man or perhaps a woman brought a surprise. His heart pulsated at an unbelievable rate. His eyes widened, excited about the presence behind the door, which sparked the idea of his dad coming home.

He twisted the knob. A humid air greeted him. His pupils contracted to adjust against the bright afternoon light. He could see the silhouette of a man with a slender neck. Dangling at the end of the man's arms were a basket of groceries, a brown paper bag, and a black helmet.

The silhouette greeted him, "Daniel!" said the man enthusiastically in a familiar pleasant male voice.

It's better not to expect. Dad can't come down from space today just to say hello, he thought. His spirit cast off, draining his rosy cheeks ashen. "Uh, hello," he replied weakly, "Good afternoon, Nurse Samuel," he managed a smile hiding his dismay.

At least someone is here with a mouth I could talk to, he thought.

"Good afternoon," the visitor greeted back.

"Do you need help with those things?" he quickly asked.

"No, I can manage," he smiled, "I'm here for your mom, to check her health and to deliver some medicines," he shook the small paper bag on his right.

"Oh, okay... that's all?" the poor kid hopelessly asked.

"Where's the strong kid I remember, taking care of his mother all by himself?"

Daniel crouched down, trying to snatch the basket of groceries out of the nurse's hand. He derailed the conversation. "Let me help you. The usual-she is in her room."

"Okay-"

The boy interrupted, making Samuel's mouth open. "I'll leave the basket on the coffee table in the living room."

Samuel angled his chin toward the kitchen. "Better bring it to the kitchen and my helmet too. I'll stay here for the rest of the afternoon."

"Really? You don't have a job today?"