20 : Negentropy

Daniel lifted the box of food and the gallon of water suspended beside the upstairs bathroom and maneuvered his way to his bedroom, nudging the door open with his backside. With a thud, he dropped the cardboard box and water container onto the floor. He already knew about the dwindling food supplies, but when he peeled the cardboard box's flaps, the narrow curve line on his face changed to a straight line.

The box was nearly empty. Slowly he plunged his fingers inside the box and snatched the remaining pack of dried mangoes hidden among the variety of canned goods. When he lifted the dried mangoes, buried under them was the hammer he used to fix some things. "Well, I am glad I saw you again," he grabbed it. "You, mighty hammer, will be my weapon to defend myself if ever there's somebody or something outside who wants to kill me," he said as if the hammer had earholes that functioned to listen.

Of course, it never escaped his memory to bring the magnifier, barrette, and cube on his adventure. He sprung across the room and grabbed the three, roving in weightlessness. Daniel's nape itched, thinking of a container to hold his things securely. He surveyed the room, then squinted under the bookshelf, eyeing his school backpack hiding in the shadows. Well, here's what I need, he thought.

The boy dove towards the shelf and yanked the bag. "It's stuck!" he interjected, tugging the bag jammed between the floor and the shelf's foot. Daniel grasped the sling firmly and tried to pull the bag, sweating, infuriated.

"Come on!" he whined as his legs exerted more force on the floor, wrestling to free the bag he needed. He gnawed the inside of his cheek, gathered all his strength, and heaved once more. "Whoa—" his abrupt reaction when he freed the knapsack. He was spinning and spinning, out of control, until his head hit the ceiling. "Ouch!"

Daniel scratched his head, feeling a tiny stinging lump. "I don't know, but why is that everything suddenly turned out gnarly," he muttered, venting a fleeting feeling of resentment.

He surveyed his room. "I'm not abandoning you, room. Please, don't be so selfish. I just want to see what changes, distortions, or whatever is bewildering beyond our gates. Don't be sad, and don't get mad because I promise I will be back before dusk," he went on with his persuasion as if the room understood every word he uttered. He smiled. Then the boy unzipped the backpack and tossed the notepads and crayons aside over the mattress. He deposited his snack, the hammer, and his friends inside the bag while he slid the cube into his pocket. "Listen, Mr. Lens and Lady Mondragon. We are about to wander the street, seeing new scenery and maybe finding a friend... if we are lucky," he announced.

Lady Mondragon pirouetted, displaying his glitzy wings in excitement, "Oh, I can't wait to have a glimpse of the outside world. Our expedition scares me, but I can shake it off for you, my beloved friend Daniel."

"Oh, thank you," he fervently replied.

"Don't forget me, mister," Mr. Lens huffed, "I, too, will always be here, be your lens to see better and help you think clearer," he added, firing a show-off of his rhyming skills.

"Undoubtedly," the boy gleamed.

"Hey! I can rhyme too," the hair barrette stole the magnifier's moment, "Daniel, I will be by your side at all times, even though I am scared sometimes. But my humor is the only way to process tough times," he finished with an arched brow and folded arms, pouting her lips.

"Bravo!" Daniel and Mr. Lens gave her a round of applause.

Mr. Lens looked at her, eye to eye. "Beauty and brains, that's what you are, mademoiselle."

Lady Mondragon giggled, glowing with pride and flashing her crystal-embedded wings inside the cheerless interior of the knapsack.

Mr. Lens glanced back, irritated with the lady's squeaky giggle and silly wriggle. "I want to retract my words," he made a quick dart to the left, leaning against the shady corner of the bag's interior, "Nettlesome and unhandsome, the best of the ten thousand adjectives in the English language that exclusively fits to define you."