Chapter 16 - Drama is Brewing

Melody's POV:

"Fuck!" an aggravated voices bellows from the kitchen of our home and I instantaneously flinch before quickly recognizing the voice as Leonardo's. Without a second thought, I hurry towards the source of the noise as my mind suggests disastrous reasons for his outburst. What if he's hurt?
Clumsily, I skid through the kitchen door only to collide with the kitchen counter. I wince at the uncomfortable feeling before recollecting myself and turning towards Leonardo who I find sitting at the end of the kitchen table staring daggers at his phone. He doesn't look too happy...

"Leo? Has something happened? What's wrong? Are you hurt?" I fire questions as I run to stand beside the chair he remains in and instinctively take his hand in my own hoping to provide both of us some comfort.

Leo's eyes shift to me as soon as our hands' make contact. He appears to have only just taken notice of my presence and I can't help but feel a little relieved that he didn't catch my previous embarrassing entrance to the kitchen. He would undoubtedly either mock me or scold me for being so careless. "No, I'm fine. I didn't mean to worry you angel," he tries to reassure me but my eyes narrow as I observe his clenched jaw and the tired creases in his forehead. I instantly move my thumbs towards his face in an effort to smooth the stubborn creases away; my eyebrows furrowing in concentration.

"You don't look fine. Has something happened baby?" I nudge with a kind voice, not wishing to unintentionally anger the man further in his irritable state.

"Nothing you need to worry about," he briskly dismisses and I glare at him with disapproval of his answer.

"But maybe I can help? Come on Leo, please talk to me. I want to be there for you," I continue and ensure to lock eyes with him hoping that he will see my sincerity. Leo always helps me, now I have a chance to return the favour.

He stares at me for a minute and I await in anticipation for his reply but squeal in surprise as he simply pulls me onto his lap. He traces soothing shapes on my thighs and I lean into him as one of my hands climb up behind his neck so that I can toy with the bottom of his hair.
"My Father's coming," he states, impassively. Oh.

"But I thought he was still travelling?" I question, nervously. Truth be told, I have never met Leonardo's Father. Leonardo has told me that he's been continuously travelling for business purposes for over a year now and I cannot help but already feel a little resentment towards the man for abandoning his son for an excessive amount of time. Despite my Leo refusing to admit it, I know it bothers him. He has spoken about the close relationship they shared throughout his childhood and I know he misses him. From what I gather, his Father isn't a particularly affectionate figure to say the least but that he shows care for people close to him in other ways; not that this seems to bother Leonardo.

"Apparently not; he is coming over tonight", he explains and whilst I normally fail to analyze his emotions correctly, from his expression I am led to believe that he is not currently pleased about this new information.

"Oh. How do you feel?" I inquire; treading lightly around the situation despite eagerly wanting to know his thoughts.

Leonardo tiredly sighs and his hold on me tightens a little. "I don't know. I guess I'm a little frustrated that after a year and a half he just decides to show up out of the fucking blue," he explains and I instinctively flinch at the threatening tone he uses. "Sorry baby", he apologises and I smile softly in thanks.

"That makes sense... maybe he wants to apologise for leaving for so long?" I suggest and frown as Leo merely chuckles at my optimism.

"That's cute love, but I don't think so," he disagrees and leans down to kiss my forehead. There are those butterflies.