Chapter Ten

Her hand danced along the iridescent, golden waters that surrounded the base of the ship. With a blithe smile, Sekhmet looked at the god kneeled at her side. A serious expression conquered the fleeting moment of tranquility. "There are-"

"I'm–" Horus coughed, a quick smile making an appearance. Taking a flask from a side pocket, he dipped it into the shimmering waters and signaled for her to continue.

Sekhmet dried her hand, hesitating to speak. "I believe...there are some things we should discuss."

Capping the flask, his eye flitted around before meeting hers. "Now's not the best time, Sekhmet." He moved to say more, her disappointment was clear, but no words came to mind. None that would help the situation anyway.

"Right."

Horus followed Sekhmet as she stood and began to walk away. "I only mean that now isn't the most opportune time to have such discussions." His eyebrows raised in question for her agreement. "Once I-"

"Once you get your revenge and are finally king, you will finally have precious time for others." She whispered, "I know." Sekhmet resumed her walking, going up the stairs to stand before her father on his throne. Taking his raised hands into her own, she looked upon him with love and appreciation. "I have missed you, Father. Thank you for your help."

A light smile was the only hint that the great god Ra cared about the goddess' words. "You, my dear, are destined for great things. I may have restrained the destructive power within you but I had no hand in the insurmountable humility and kindness you bestow on the mortals."

Sekhmet took a deep breath. "I am still scared...that I won't be able to control it again. The memories of the pleasure I found in death haunt me." She spoke in a hushed voice. Not so others might not hear but because she didn't want to hear herself. "Why did you make me like this?" Her stare did not drift from his weathered eyes.

Eyebrows were furrowed in sympathy. A single hand lightly patted her own. Her father understood. "No one understands the purpose of trials until it all comes together. Sometimes later than not. Your journey while you are on the earth, every aspect, will shape you into the person you are meant to be. You will understand in time." Nodding her head while discreetly wiping a tear away, Sekhmet bent down to kiss his wrinkled forehead. Ra left a gentle kiss on her hand in return. "I know you will not give up on Horus but do not let your kind heart lead you astray." His eyes widened slowly, accentuating his precaution.

Sekhmet heard footsteps behind her, their heaviness likely on purpose to announce the god's presence. Slowly she stepped away from her father, ignoring the gaze of her former love. "I will get Bek and then we can return once you are done speaking."

The god of the sky and young mortal tumbled into the rich dirt surrounded by vibrant vegetation. A few feet from the ground, Horus' winged form was returned to Ra. He would no longer transform into a falcon unless he gained his other eye, the missing half of his haku.

Sekhmet stood patiently, waiting for the two buffoons to stop their jabbering and get up from where they groaned on the ground. The goddess swiftly leaped out of Horus' arms before they crashed into the ground ever thankful for her lioness abilities.

While Sekhmet surveyed the land, Horus explained his plan to use the water of creation to destroy Set's fire, bringing the god to his weakest. Vulnerable to defeat. Bek sat across from him, listening intently. His entire body was smudged by the dirt he had just rolled in. "What would happen if I drank that?" His pointed finger further indicated the glowing waters contained in Horus' clear flask. The water of creation.

"You would be refreshed." He returned the flask to a leather pocket. "Then you would die." Sekhmet lightly laughed as she wiped her face with water from a nearby stream.

Bek frowned. "It doesn't seem right that the water of creation would kill."

"I would kill you," a small smile snuck onto his face, "for wasting my water." Bek nodded for a moment and then started chuckling. The light, comfortable atmosphere shifted immediately when Sekhmet's firm stance faltered. Her knees buckled causing her to gasp at the abnormality. Both god and mortal jumped to their feet, watching her in question.

The goddess cleared her throat, a slender hand resting over her heart. "I'm...I'm alright." Her smile wavered, revealing its falsity. Horus threw a leather flask into the unsuspecting arms of Bek.

"What's this?"

Horus' brows floated upward. "So you don't have to bring me something to drink cupped in your hands."

Bek stepped forward with the confidence of a god. "I'm not your slave." He tossed the flask back. "Get off your ass and get your own water."

Sekhmet fell to her knees, holding her chest. Horus fell to his knees beside her. His face scrunched in confusion and worry, a single eye snapped to the mortal. "The water isn't for me." Bek's gaze softened as he looked at the panting goddess. With a huff, he walked past the gods, snatching the flask.

Groans of pain leaked from her mouth. Tears left streaks on her cheeks like temporary scars. "What is it, Sekhmet?" The goddess shook her head. "You have to tell me."

A weary face angled toward his own. "He's killing them." Horus frowned. "That monster is killing them."

Horus rubbed her back. "There you go. Who's he killing?" Sekhmet could not respond as her breathing became erratic. He moved to hold her from behind, rocking her softly, humming quietly. "Set's killing the remaining gods, isn't he?"

Sekhmet slowly brought her breathing to a normal pace. "Horus...he's killed Nephthys." Horus was fuming. Once again, he was harshly reminded of what a demon Set is.

"I'm sorry. I know she meant a lot to you." Sekhmet didn't smile in response to his sympathy; instead, she completely relaxed in his arms, nestling her head against his warm neck. She found a little peace in the familiar smell of his that had been absent from her life for so long. Hesitantly he asked, "You can feel them die?"

"I can feel their pain...and then it suddenly stops. I wasn't there to help. We need to end this, Horus." He slowly pulled her up to stand beside him. Her face was blotchy, eyelashes clumped together from tears, a stuffy nose. Despite the circumstances, Horus was happy to have her in his arms, before she remembered the pain he caused.

"We will. But first, we must find that infuriating mortal." Sekhmet nodded. Bek had been gone for quite some time. She walked toward the rushing sound of flowing water. She didn't let go of his hand.