🏮63. Voice

After some time traveling, Amber, Alina, and Oberon came to a clearing in the woods full of cinders, and burnt bits of trees.  In the center of the destruction was a half burnt white flower.  The white flower was large and the bits that weren't reduced to ashes, sparkled with rainbow colors in the light.  The faint scent of pumpkin pie lingered in the air.  Below the flower was a large mass of roots that had been dug up and sliced along the mass where they connected.  Amber climbed off of Oberon's back and cautiously approached the Lapsilian Maflo.  This was the creature that Amber had feared the most in Duchess Dash, but it was reduced to ashes. 

Amber peeked into the hole within the creature's roots, empty.  The Lapilian's core had been taken out.  

Amber stood up just as she heard some movement behind her. 

"You've returned to me," said Duke Dreyfus.

He rushed up behind Amber, rested his chin on the top of her head, and wrapped his arms around her.  Amber allowed him to hold her for a moment, feeling the residue of magic lingering on his skin.  She tried to draw the mana into herself, but she could not; fire magic was not compatible with her.  She sighed in disappointment and started to pull away from the Duke, when she heard a quiet voice in her head.

[We belong to the First Prince.  You shouldn't allow other men to touch us.] Said the female voice quietly in Amber's mind. 

Amber felt a heat flow over her body and tingling throughout. It felt as if her entire body was trying to go numb, the way it did when a leg fell asleep.  Amber remembered this feeling, it was the same as those times  she had lost control of her body.  Like when the first prince and her maid stopped by her room and also at the Vermillion Pavillion.  Amber gritted her teeth while fighting off the numbing feeling.

[Why are you trying to fight me?  I said that we belong to the First Prince, and so we do!  He is our fiance.  Why wouldn't you want to be with our fiance?  Now give me control over our body!]  Yelled the voice.

"Who are you?!" Amber yelled. 

[Get away from him right this instant!  We belong to the First Prince!  We can only belong to the First Prince!]

Amber stopped pulling away from the Duke and slowly turned around, facing him.  Amber's eyes locked in on the Duke's emerald green eyes and then she lowered her focus onto his lips.  She felt her body still while the voice tried to take over her body's movement.  She felt the tingling wash over her body once more as the other entity tried, but failed to take over.  She pushed the feeling back and wrapped her arms around the Duke's back.  Slowly she rested her hands on his back and trailed her fingers up.  His sharp intake proved that he wasn't immune to her touch, but she didn't care about any of that.  She was trying to find the answer to a burning question that she'd been desperate to solve.  Why had she repeatedly lost control of her body?  

She wrapped her hands around the back of the Duke's neck and slowly pulled him down towards her.

[You wouldn't dare!] Said the voice.  While another wave of tingling shot through Amber.

"Who are you?" said Amber quietly.

The Duke frowned in confusion, while looking at Amber. "It's me, Duke Dreyfus."

Amber pulled Duke Drefus's face down to her own, pressing her lips against his.  The look of confusion plastered on his face melted into pure bliss.  He tightened his hold on her and  mashed his lips against hers.  A deep moan gurgled out from him.  Then he tilted his head, hoping to deepen the kiss.

Amber was met with silence. However, she felt the presence of the strange entity hunched in the corner of her mind, as if it were pouting.  Amber tangled her fingers into the Duke's hair and roughly bit the Duke's bottom lip between her teeth.  A low appreciative guttural sound escaped from the Duke's throat, but still the strange voice would not answer her question.  Unwilling to take things further, Amber released the Duke, and pushed against his chest. 

Initially he resisted releasing her, but after a few moments he let go.  He allowed her to step away from him and then ran his hand through his hair in frustration. 

"I was worried about you.  I was on my way back to you when I ran into this Lapsilian.  It went on a rampage,  trying to attack everyone in sight.  I had to clear out the others so I could use my fire magic.  Luckily you were able to get back to me on your own."  He grinned happily, then leaned forward and kissed the top of Amber's head. 

Amber listened carefully, but only a slight huff in her consciousness could be heard.  It looked like she wouldn't get any proper answers at the moment, so she decided to end her little experiment for now.

"Where are the others?" Amber asked while looking around at the clearing. 

"I told them to settle into camp while I dug out the maflo's core.  Where are the others who were with you and how did you get out of your bubble?"

Amber glared, only half faking it.  If she had actually been as helpless as he hoped she was, she would have been completely trapped inside that bubble without so much as a proper explanation.  It wasn't hard to show anger on her face, once she'd decided to allow that feeling to surface.  This was part of her plan.  Although everything was happening in a roundabout way, this was still all part of her plan.