0. the creation of eve

November 25, 2003

She tried to recall just what it felt like that first time, so many years ago. The fear, the guilt, the nightmares in which she woke up in a fit of sweat– praying that it was just some horrible dream. The way all of it ate her up inside; the way she couldn't bear to meet her parents' eye in fear that her gaze alone would give away her wicked deeds: the way her stomach would tie up into knots at the very thought of going on like this for one more day...let alone forever. She thought about writing her own name down as a way of atoning for her sins. An eye for an eye.

What would her parents say? The neighbors? Her friends? Had she any left?

"You know," said the monster– the shinigami and rightful owner of the notebook, Ryuk. He had appeared to her just a few days ago, not much time after she had first written down those bullies' names. "You could just use this." He stretched a sole hand out to her and, once he opened his spindly fingers, held out an eraser. Her hand shook when she went to take it from him. While she rolled the little square around in her palm, he spoke again, "The death eraser. If you erase the name in the notebook with this, as long as the body hasn't been burned, the person will come back to life."

It was almost comical the way her eyes had lit up hearing that. At least to Ryuk, who had begun cackling the second she had turned back to the book to erase those names.

The incident had been written off as some elaborate medical anomaly, one that in a few years time only the strangest occultist would even remember. For years after that the Death Note sat and collected dust. The only reminder of its power was Ryuk– who was stuck in this world until either the notebook's demise or her own.

"You're using it again?"

(Y/n) turned her head away from the accursed book and the television, which had been playing a special update about a currently trending court case, to focus her attention on the shinigami. Splayed on the bed, Ryuk guarded his hold of the fruit bowl with one hand and gorged himself on an apple with another.

He paused momentarily, core held aloft, "I haven't seen you use it since you started middle school." He remembered that day vividly, the look of pure contempt written upon her face. "Some people don't deserve life." He'd never seen that look on a human being before.

"I've been bored," she hummed. She closed the book, abandoning her pen beside it, and leaned back in her seat with a soft sigh. "School's been stressful lately, I thought I deserved a break." Her eyes flit over to the murky figure, irises half-lidded. "That is... if you don't mind helping me."

He'd raise an eyebrow if he had one. 

❝𝐧𝐨 𝐨𝐧𝐞 𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐫 𝐝𝐢𝐞𝐝
𝐟𝐫𝐨𝐦 𝐰𝐚𝐧𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐭𝐨𝐨 𝐦𝐮𝐜𝐡❞
↳ 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐖𝐨𝐫𝐥𝐝 𝐈𝐬 𝐍𝐨𝐭 𝐄𝐧𝐨𝐮𝐠𝐡 - 𝐆𝐚𝐫𝐛𝐚𝐠𝐞

498

a/n: both y/n's death note origin & death eraser are shamelessly ripped from the manga pilot