9. elymas

April 18, 2004

"I'm home!" She called out, closing the door behind her and stepping out of her shoes. Odd...no reply. He had to be home, she saw his car in the driveway. "Hello? Dad?"

The only sound in the house was the muffled, tinny voice of the television bleeding through a closed off room upstairs-- her father's study. (Y/n) checked the time on her watch with a frown; it was late, he usually wasn't in there at this time of night.

She abandoned her purse on the coat rack before she made her way upstairs. She knocked once at the shut door, not waiting for a reply before entering.

"Are you busy?"

"Oh, hey sweet pea." He reluctantly tore his eyes away from the television. He heaved a sigh and dropped the paper in his hand down onto the outstretched folder splayed across the desk before him. "Sorry, I didn't hear you coming."

(Y/n) walked over. She took a seat on the arm of his chair and tilted her head towards the screen. "Sakura TV? I thought you hated them."

"It's this Kira guy," he grumbled. "He's bad for business." He said that about everything: cell phone cameras were also bad for business, along with the declining birth rate, the cancellation of his favorite show, and, surprisingly, the recession– the rise in burglary and robbery was apparently shadowed by the lowered funds his defendants were willing to fork over. "I might have to start offering personal injury if this continues."

(Y/n) ignored him. It seemed, at times, his work was the only thing that mattered in life. There was no threat of danger, just the opportunity to make money. Her attention flickered over towards the tv– right as the picture changed over to a white screen with black lettering.

Kira. Though fuzzy and handwritten, the word was still legible: written in a font akin to the one L used during his previous broadcast. Though she knew for a fact this wasn't Light– he wasn't this forward, or foolish.

"I am Kira," an altered voice spoke. Similar to L, theirs was also digitally edited into obscurity. "If this video is aired exactly at 5:59 pm on April 18th, it is now 5:59 and thirty-eight, thirty-nine, forty seconds...Please switch channels to Taiyo TV. The news anchor, Mr. Kazuhiko Hibima, will die of a heart attack at precisely six pm."

(Y/n) dove to pick up the remote in order to change to the specified channel. Her father frowned, "is your dear, old dad boring you with his concerns?"

The static calmed enough to reveal the anchor dead at his desk. His two co-hosts sat on either side, gaping down at Hibima's corpse. She switched back.

"Mr. Hibima has consistently referred to Kira as "evil" in his news reports. This was his punishment. But one demonstration alone does not serve as absolute proof. I will present another. My next target is a commentator who has also condemned me repeatedly. He is scheduled to appear live on the air at this time on channel 24–" The other broadcast was a similar scene to the last, though this time the victim lay in the arms of a shocked mic operator. "Please listen to me carefully. I do not want to kill innocent people. I hate evil and love justice. I do not consider the police my enemies, but my allies in my fight against evil. My aim is to rid the world of evil and create a just society. If all of you will join me in this mission, it can be easily accomplished. If you do not agree with me, if you refrain from publicizing your views in the media or in public, you will be spared." Childish nonsense.

She shut off the television.

"Hey! I was watching that."

(Y/n) shook her head and rose from her seat. "You can't believe everything you see on tv these days, Dad. Besides, Sakura TV will do anything for views," she stated. She slipped the remote in her pocket, looking back with a smile. "I'm going to get started on dinner. You try to get some actual work done, okay?" The grown man dramatically sighed and turned toward the file on his desk.

She exited the room, closing the door behind her and pausing to listen in. Once she was confident her father's attention had been placed elsewhere, she descended the room. (Y/n) avoided the kitchen– instead she tip-toed over to the living room and sat before the television.

She turned the power on and the volume down, just barely enough to hear it up close, and flipped through various news networks.

Sakura TV was still airing Kira's broadcast, while NHN was narrating the scene outside of Sakura's building. Both Channel 24 and Taiyo TV were off the air– displaying only a dial tone and an error card. The next channel she changed to was something altogether different: live footage outside Sakura TV's headquarters.

A large armored vehicle raced over the sidewalk, colliding with the main entrance of the building. Glass shattered, falling to the ground like heavy clumps of snow, and steel supports twisted and gnarled out of their place as the car drove further into the lobby.

"It appears to be a police vehicle!" The cameraman announced. "The armored van belongs to the police!" Moments later a sole squad car drove into frame, parking atop the debris left behind from the van's path of destruction. An officer exited from either side of the car. They were hardly in view for more than a second, enough for only one fleeting glance, before they crumpled to the ground.

Light didn't have the ability to kill only seconds after seeing a face. Whoever this "Kira" was, they had obtained the Shinigami eyes: and to kill someone not even visible over television meant that they were close by.

She knew it was only a matter of time before the other Kira reared their ugly head. How fun.

April 19, 2004

It felt like she'd been waiting on his arrival for eons. (Y/n)'s eyes darted down to her wrist watch for the umpteenth time. 4:31, a single minute after the time they had planned to meet. Come on, Light. What happened to Mr. Punctual?

"Sorry to make you wait." Light. She glanced up from her, now cold, cup of coffee to watch as he slid into the other side of the booth. "My last class let out late."

"It's fine," she murmured. Not like I have anything important to say...She nonchalantly looked away from him before raising her cup and taking a sip. Ick.

Light momentarily frowned. "So, what did you want to talk about?"

She cut right to the chase.

"Did you see the news?" She lowered her voice to a whisper, "someone out there's gotten hold of a death note and made the eye deal. They had to be by Sakura TV last night, and their headquarters isn't even that far away. For all we know it could be anyone." Light laughed.

Laughed. At her.

He tried to suppress his outburst of amusement, apparently having seen whatever disgusted reaction she had on her face, and smiled. "Is that what you're so worried about?" His hand crept forward to clamp over her's, squeezing it when he next spoke, "I'm not supposed to say anything, but from where I am it looks like L wants me in on the investigation. If anyone finds out who this other Kira is, it'll be me. I told you from the start that I had this all figured out."

❝𝐬𝐡𝐞 𝐠𝐢𝐯𝐞𝐬 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐲𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐛𝐮𝐭
𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭'𝐬 𝐧𝐨𝐭 𝐰𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐰𝐚𝐧𝐧𝐚 𝐝𝐨❞
↳ 𝐋𝐢𝐭𝐭𝐥𝐞 𝐌𝐢𝐬𝐬 - 𝐛ô𝐚

1.2k

(elymas, also known as bar-jesus or "son of jesus" in aramaic, is a false prophet and "sorcerer" from the new testament who is made blind by god. fitting for the second kira and the shinigami eyes)