11. moloch

May 25, 2004

She stood at the front gate for some time, staring past the fence with the placard reading Kira's real last name. She inhaled a deep breath as she neared the door, reaching out and ringing the bell.

The chime echoed throughout the house before, moments later, the door opened.

She nervously gripped her bag in front of her, the weight of her death note inside heavier than usual. "Good evening, my name is Misa Amane. (Y/n) left her important notebook at school so I brought it..." The older man at the door paused, glancing over her unusual appearance. He blinked, his expression blank.

This was the right house, she was sure of it.

"Just a moment," he mumbled. He scratched at the stubble on his chin and craned his head back. "(Y/n)! Your friend's here!" Movement was heard in the distance, the shutting of a door and the creak of the stairs. Soon after, a girl appeared beside him. (Y/n).

She was tall with long legs, almost like the foreign runway models Misa saw at photoshoots on occasion. Her soft, shiny hair fell into her unblemished face as her sharp eyes examined the strange girl at her doorstep. Her gaze was cold, a stark contrast to the gentle smile curled into her blushed lips. She's beautiful.

"Thank you, Father," she spoke with a dulcet voice, clear as glass. She set a hand on the man's upper arm to coax him away. "I've got it from here." The second he left her expression darkened. Her brow sloped downward, her eyelids narrowed.

"N-nice to meet you...I'm Misa Amane," the blonde stuttered. "I figured you'd be worried after what was on the tv, and I couldn't wait any longer." She looked away in order to fumble through her purse. After some time she pulled out a black book and presented it with shaking hands. "This notebook."

(Y/n)'s heart caught in her throat at the sight of it. A death note.

Though it was worn and the cover page was written in a strange, unknown language, she could tell what it was straight away.

She reached out, tentative. The pads of her fingers just barely grazed the leather but it was more than enough. Within seconds the other girl's shinigami came into view.

(Y/n) stepped aside, taking hold of the open door. "Come in."

"Oh, you're inviting me up to your room? Yay!" She shut the door behind Misa and led her up the stairs and into her bedroom.

The room was clean, almost unbearably so. Everything had its own place and was painstakingly organized according to some sense of rhythm; clothes ordered by color, books lined up alphabetically– even the photographs pinned to the wall were set up based on width and length. The only thing seemingly out of place was a worn, well loved teddy bear tucked into the sheets of the bed.

(Y/n) trailed over to a chabudai in the middle of the room. She knelt before it, quickly closing the opened laptop splayed on top of it and setting it aside. She gestured to the cushion on the other side of the low table. "Take a seat."

"Oh," Misa perked up. "Thank you." She scurried over, smoothing down the back of her skirt before she sat. (Y/n) watched in silence. Her arm placed atop the table, hand holding her head up.

Finally, she spoke, "how did you find me?"

"I thought so. Neither of you have made the eye trade, right?" Neither!? "If you have the eyes of a shinigami, then you can see people's names and life spans. But for people who own a death note, you can only see their name."

Her shinigami leaned forward, their skeletal body creaking as they towered over the small girl. "What this girl is telling you is the truth. Otherwise she wouldn't have been able to tell that you were Kira just from seeing you at Aoyama, right? I even told her she shouldn't reveal her name to Kira, but she just didn't want to lie to you."