21 / The Company

Cassidy didn't say anything.

He was surprised at the apology. Those words being there incensed him more than if they'd been absent. 'Sorry.' Really? Did that make it all better?

Sorry I pushed you.

Sorry you almost died.

Sorry I'm speaking to you through a mirror, which should be impossible.

Well, that's all right then, isn't it?

No. No, it was definitely not all right. He'd wanted her to answer his questions. Now, he'd make sure she did! How one could do that to a supposed dead person was something he'd have to find out, but he'd do it!

The letters moved in the now familiar scattering of ants.

Cassidy

I'm sorry.

OK. Make it personal. Direct it at him. The message could only be for him, so the use of his name wasn't required. It was used, then, for effect. He gave the ants a moment to see if they'd change to anything else. They didn't. She was waiting.

He wondered if the dead could hold their breath.

"For what?" he asked.

I'm sorry.

"You said that already. I asked what for."

For not stopping you.

For...? Huh? What hadn't she stopped? Cassidy was confused. He hadn't expected that answer, thinking she'd lie, instead try to tell him his fall was an accident. She didn't mean to. She didn't let him hit the ground, so had potentially saved his life. He should be grateful!

"I don't understand," he said. "Not stopping what? You pushed me. I could have been seriously hurt. Maybe even dead! What's up? You want some company?"

Yes.

What the actual fuck? So, she admitted it! She'd tried to kill him so she would have someone to share her mirror? Wow! Well, she could forget it. If he had have died, he'd go and haunt someone who deserved it, such as Elise, rather than hanging around with the person (the dead were still people, right?) who'd murdered him!

At least he was finally getting somewhere with her. Her remorse was making her talkative, something he could use to find out more about the mysterious Amy.

"So, I was right. You tried to kill me! I should get a fucking exorcist!"

No!

"Well, an exorcist would give me some peace!"

They wouldn't. Don't work.

Not a ghost.

But no. Not that.

Not a ghost. No, she'd said that. Ghosts don't exist. Well, what the hell was she then?

"Not that? Then what?"

Cassidy had started pacing back and forth in front of the wardrobe. His teeth were clenched as tightly as his fists.

I want company.

I didn't try to kill you.

I wouldn't.

His pacing ceased, and he stood back in front of the mirror.

Oh. She wasn't admitting anything, apart from the fact she was... what... lonely? But if that was the case, what happened with the stairs? That must have been her!