30 / Naked and Afraid

Cassidy smiled.

Dogs entertained him, particularly when they didn't do as expected. An hour could be lost watching funny animal compilation videos on his phone, and think only half that time had passed. He wasn't on to berate his own pet if it didn't immediately do as it was told. He liked to train them, offering treats for good behaviour, but felt the animal was still just an animal. They didn't always understand what they were meant to do, or their enthusiasm would cloud their judgement.

Bobby wanted to go upstairs. Maybe, in his old home, that was where his bed was, or his food bowls. He couldn't understand why someone, especially a well-informed breeder, would put anything belonging to a puppy upstairs, but you never knew. A pup would have difficulty navigating stairs. They could fall. He'd seen it himself with both Lady and Butch. They'd tried to get to the bedrooms where Cassidy had been. Lady managed three steps higher than Butch, and neither made it to the top. Cass had heard the yelp each time. He'd made it to the landing in time to see the small dogs land at ground level and roll to a standstill.

Luckily, both Lady and Butch were unharmed. They were more bewildered, and quickly forgot their ordeal when they were picked up and fussed, the picking up being to check for any broken bones and to calm Cass himself as well as the dog.

One of the first things he'd decided to do was to teach Bobby how to get up and down the stairs. The damage to seven meant that would have to wait until it could be repaired, but it was still high on his list of priorities, along with sit, lay and stay.

He picked the dog up and took him through to the kitchen. Keeping a hold of him, and talking about random nonsense to build a rapport, he took a bowl from the cupboard and filled it with water. Placing it on the floor by the skirting board, he put Bobby down.

"Fancy a drink, boy?"

Bobby, it seemed, did. He lapped happily at the water. Once his thirst was satiated, he returned to run around Cassidy's legs.

"I'll show you where the toilet is, shall I? Give you the guided tour. Come on"

The tour commenced, starting with the garden. Bobby followed obediently, and when they were outside, he scampered off to explore. He relieved himself against the fence and the corner of the shed and was praised each time. Let him know he did good. That's where you pee. Remember that.

Back inside, the rooms had been shown within the scant minutes it took to walk between them. Bobby followed Cass around, wandering off to sniff here and there. Generally, he seemed to be aware of what was happening, having taken to the human easily and being much calmer than expected.

When they returned to the hall, the composure broke, and he bounded to the stairs, attempting to climb them. With immense determination, he reached the first step. Spurred on by the success, he went for the second. Cassidy scooped him up and carried him.

"We'll be here all day! If you're so eager to get up there, let me help."

On the landing, Bobby was put back down in the centre. Before any words of encouragement could be spoken to spur him on, the dog was off. There were four rooms to choose from. Three bedrooms and the bathroom. There was no doubt in which one he wanted. Cassidy's own.

"Slow down, bud!" he said, going after his new friend.

It didn't occur to Cass what might have been causing Bobby's eagerness. He'd assumed it was because of a new environment and unfamiliar smells. When he entered the room, the dog was already in place.

Sitting in front of the mirror, looking up.

On the glass, Amy had welcomed the animal.

Bobby!