summer job

So, Steve had been denied a job with our dad who claims be needed 'to learn a lesson' in making a living for himself. I knew this was bullshit. He just wanted another excuse to avoid being around his own children, Steve's behaviour was only ever a reflection of our childhood neglect and now he was being published for it.

Steve was still in good spirits though despite being salty about his new position in the starcourt mall. I, luckily, didn't need to beg mommy and daddy to let me join them because I was still in my last year of school.

After helping him and Dustin with their 'lizard problem' last year my life hadn't been the same. I became even more reclusive then I usually was, Steve has to practically drag me out of the house. That was the reason I found myself here- sitting awkwardly in the back room of scoops ahoy with a complete stranger.

"So you're Steve's coworker?" I ask hesitantly breaking the awkward silence.

Steve had made me wait back here while he swapped shifts. "Yeah" she responds dryly.

"I'm y/n" I add "his-"

"Sister I know, he told me that you'd be coming" she shrugs.

There's another beat of silence before she smiles and says "I'm Robin by the way"

***

And so I became friends with the mysterious girl from the break room and got to witness my brother's many miserable attempts at flirting with customers. Robin had this brilliant idea of keeping score. So far he had exactly 0 successful encounters.

"You are 0 for 6 popeye" Robin mocks from behind the window.

"Yeah, yeah I can count" he grunts.

"You know that means you suck?" I chime in.

"Yeah I can read too you little brat" he hisses.

"Since when?"

"It's this stupid hat I'm telling you, ruining my best feature"

Another reminder of how different we were, I look nothing like my brother, not saying my hair isn't magnificent because it definitely is- just nothing like his.

Robin just rolls her eyes "have you considered telling the truth?"

The way her face was illuminated by the store lights as she leaned towards him made her look so pretty. It was no secret I had a crush on her. Sike. It was a huge secret, not a soul knew about my feelings for her and not a soul knew I liked girls at all. Not even Steve whom I'd always shared my secrets with ever since we were kids.

I know my brother loves me, I love him too but sometimes I remember how he got when he started hanging out with douchebag Tommy H. It leaves this creeping feeling that he'd judge me even though I know he wouldn't. It's just an irrational fear I can't seem to get over.

It's ironic actually, I have memory after memory of him helping me sneak out late at night for dates. He would say things like "who's the lucky guy?" When I didn't give a response he'd simply wink and make some dumb joke about not kissing and telling. If only I had the guts to tell him I was really sneaking out to meet the most beautiful girl on the cheerleader squad.

Jolie Smith. She'd been on my mind since freshman year, I'd see her dancing at pep rallies or reading by herself at the library. Most the time she was with her clique and so I'd never had the opportunity to approach her- until one faithful day where we'd found ourselves getting detention together. She'd been caught smoking under the bleachers while I'd punched Carol Perkins for talking shit about my brother.

We exchanged stories to get through the boring hour alone and got to talking about other stuff. That then resulted in us kind of sort of having a makeout session right there in the empty principles office. We had our whole friends with benefits behind everyone's back bullshit going on for awhile until I broke it off after finding out about the upsidedown stuff. I couldn't handle all the secrecy and sneaking around on top of everything.

I told her I was scared of my parents finding out and she understood, in a way that was true but obviously not the real reasoning. Time helped me get over her and we're still friends I guess. Sometimes we eat lunch together or have a small conversation on the way to our classes. Nobody suspected a thing. As a Harrington it was normal for me to be around other popular kids although I was definitely less infamous then my brother. I tended to stick around him and his friends, almost like a lost puppy. He never minded- we were (and still are) best friends as well as siblings.

My thoughts must have pulled me into a trance as I hear my name being called "y/n hey you okay?" It was Robin.

"Yeah- just zoned out" I force a smile.

Steve had already gone back to flirting clearly ignoring whatever advice he'd been offered while I wasn't listening. Man I love him but he is a dipshit.

***

Another hour or something close to pass by and the two sailors swap shifts once again. My disheveled looking brother comes into the break room with a huff "why are girls so confusing?" He demands.

I bite my lip to hold back a snort and roll my eyes at him. "Maybe your just trying to hard"

"Excuse me?" He gives an over dramatic fake gasp.

"Let it happen naturally, if there's a real connection you shouldn't need cheesy pickup lines or creepy winks"

"My winking is not creepy!" He defends.

"False"

"I'm getting a second opinion!" I assume he's talking about Robin who I already know will agree with me.

Following him outside our argument is interrupted by a familiar face. "Henderson!" I shout, he was like a second brother to me now.

"He's back, he's back!" Steve exclaims.

"You got the job!" Dustin giggles proceeding to do a goofy handshake. Thank god I wasn't that embarrassing.

"How many children are you guys friends with?" Robin mocks with her usual sarcastic smirk.

God that smirk.