02 | money matters only

Jo

MRS JUNE IS staring at me as if I've won a lottery. She quickly ushers me into her office and the first thing that hits me is the spicy smell of spaghetti and meatballs.

"Come in, come in," she waves her hand towards me and shuts the door. "Was just having a quick lunch." She explains as she closes the lid of her food and drops it on the floor.

I settle down on the cushioned chair in front of her desk and she walks towards the windows and flips the binds open, talking as she does so. "I found out you accepted the school's offer this morning. You don't know how happy I am."

I read the words on the plaque the sits on her hardwood desk- Guidance Counselor- and observe the chipped edges of her table. Directly underneath the edge is a stale gum decorating the wood. She shuffles over to me and takes a seat on her swivel chair, rotating slightly before remaining still and wiping her brows with a brown napkin.

"Not everyone wants to help others. There's not been a very impressive response from the student body-"

"I accepted the offer by accident."

She pauses and raises her brows like I've said gibberish. "What?"

I lean forward and place my hands on her table, interlacing my fingers together. "I can't tutor anyone. I'm trying to see if there's a way I can cancel."

"Oh dear," a languid expression takes over her ruddy face and she wipes her brows again with the handkerchief from before. "I- well, I can't force you, but maybe you could think about it. You never know what you might gain from it."

A small frown replaces the expressionless look on my face. I try to think about it, but the only thing running through my mind is money.

"What's in it for me?"

Mrs June rolls her lips and asks, "what?" like she didn't hear me at first.

"I mean, do I get paid?"

She twiddles her thumbs on the table and sighs before relaxing back on her seat, rotating from side to side. "Yes, I guess you can get paid. Once you create your profile, you can easily place a certain price to any subject you're willing to teach. The slot wasn't available before but now that I think about it, I don't see why not."

I look down at my fingernails and think about my job a Grub A Bite and hesitate to give her a response. She notices, and waves her arm around while the other reaches for the discarded food on the floor.

"It's alright. You don't have to answer now or even do it. Whatever you go with is fine. Completely."

"Thank you." I tell her because I mean it. I get to my feet and she waves me goodbye just as another student walks in.

IT'S A FAIRLY busy day at work. I glide purposefully towards a booth, order in both hands and serve them with my best fake smile yet. A band is up ahead, setting up the stage and fidgeting with the microphone just as I skate back to the counter.

I smoothen my brows a bit and wipe at the sweat gathering at the back of my neck. Garner's making me work extra hours today because of what happened yesterday and even though it was completely out of my control, I can't help but blame myself for it. I should be thanking him for employing me in the first place I guess. Not everyone employs diabetic teens to work as waiters.

Ann rests her face against her palm, elbow sitting erect on the counter and lazily scans the customers in the diner. She's loudly chewing a gum-regardless that it's been in her mouth for hours- and pops it here and there. This time, the white elastic bubble bursts against her mouth and decorates her lips and her chin. Theo is nowhere to be found but I'm absolutely sure he's drinking on the job as usual.