33. Double dating

Thanksgiving was never something I enjoyed growing up. It was just another excuse for my family to get together and it never went well. My father always needed everything to go perfectly and if I even thought about interrupting him while he watched football he'd lose it.

So I never liked the day but now things were different. I spent the holiday with Becca and her family and I loved them like they were my own. Her mom baked amazing goodies which I swear I always ate so much I came home five pounds heavier.

It was so different and I was actually excited to go. This year Monroe was coming with us so he could spend the holiday with his girlfriend.

I was going to miss Jake though. We've been having a lot of fun hanging out and even though we are both super busy with school and football we've still managed to find time to see each other. But I'll see him once I get back and I know he's excited to go home and see his family. He's been talking about them a lot lately and every time he brings it up I can see the questions on his face when I avoid mentioning my own.

I know I'll have to talk to him about my family at some point but I'd rather push that off for as long as I can.

"You're here!" Becca's face lit up as she walked into the apartment and saw me sat in the living room.

"I do live here." I replied with a smile.

"Oh really? My bad I forgot since you've been running around with your new man who you still haven't told me anything about." She gave me that look.

Monroe walked in behind her and I could tell by his face he wanted no part in this. I honestly sort of forgot that I had failed to mention Jake to Monroe and Becca. They knew I was seeing someone but I hadn't told them who it was yet. I had meant to tell them but then I had gotten all stressed about meeting Jake's friends and then things got busy and I forgot.

"I'm sorry I honestly forgot I haven't told you guys." I apologized.

"You're a terrible friend but I know how you can make it up to me. Give me his name so I can stalk him on Instagram." Becca threw herself on the couch next to me.

Monroe joined us sitting next to his girlfriend.

"It's Jake." I confessed.

Monroe's eyebrows shot up in surprise. I had a feeling he knew who I was talking about. Becca just stared at me blankly.

"Am I supposed to know him?"

"Jake Oliver." I gave her his full name.

Becca still looked between us with no recognition.

"You really don't listen to anything I say when it comes to football." Monroe chuckled at his oblivious girlfriend.

"Oh please don't tell me he's one of your teammates. I swear I know most of their names but there's so many I don't know how you expect me to keep track of them all."

"He's the captain of the Kingsley football team." I told her.

"So not even our school. I don't know why you thought I'd know that."

"He's our rival and Evan used to rant about how terrible he was." Monroe added.

I did used to do that. Everyone on the team had listened to me complain about Jake over the years. The annoyance only amplified this year when we were both made captain.

"He's also hot as fuck." Becca stared down at her phone her eyes wide.

"Stop drooling over him." Monroe frowned.

"Let me see." I leaned over to see which picture she was looking at.

Well fuck. My boyfriend was hot as shit. The picture was him on the beach shirtless. His skin was wet from the water and the sun was beating down on him making him look that much hotter. I had the sudden need to lick up those perfect abs.

"You did good." Becca patted me on the arm.

"How exactly did this happen?" Monroe asked.

"Well we ran into each other at a bar and then we sort of started hooking up." I shrugged.

"And now you're dating this gorgeous man." Becca said not even looking up from her phone.

"Are you zooming in?" Monroe peered over Becca's shoulder at her phone where she was zooming in on Jake's abs.

"I was just checking to see if there was like a filter or something. There is no way they are real, I could wash my clothes on those things." 

"I'm taking this." Monroe plucked her phone right from her hand.

"They are real if you were really curious." I told my best friend.

"You know what else is real? My abs, your real life boyfriends abs." Monroe grumbled.

"And I love you and your abs." Becca smiled brightly.

"Yeah whatever love you too." He replied trying to keep the smile off his face.

Becca leaned up and whispered something in his ear. By the reaction on my friends face I was guessing it was dirty.

"So when are we going to meet your man?" Becca asked turning her attention back to me.

"Well we leave for thanksgiving break tomorrow so I guess when we all get back I'll invite him over."

"This is so exciting! My bestie got a boyfriend and now we can go on double dates and if Jetson ever gets himself a girlfriend we can go on triple dates!" Becca squealed excitedly.

"I wouldn't hold your breath for Jetson dating anyone." I told her.

Jetson came into college with a girlfriend that he seemed really into but then she cheated on him. He hasn't really showed interest in anyone since then. I hadn't seen him so much as look at anyone. He didn't date and he didn't hook up with anyone. He said he wasn't hung up on his ex but sometimes I thought he might never move on fully.

"I'll settle for double dates then."

Monroe groaned lowly obviously less excited about the idea of double dating but I knew he'd do just about anything Becca wanted.

A/n:

I'm literally so exhausted right now. This week has been physically and emotionally exhausting. Starting this new job has been stressful and tiring but I'm getting into a schedule a little so I know it'll get better.

Anyways I hope you enjoyed this chapter!
-Cora Leigh