Chapter Five: Instant Millionaires

Rachel realized she'd never been upstairs before. She didn't know where to start. What was I thinking, how am I going to find their rooms and get them out of here in time? At the second landing, Rachel dashed to the right hallway. It was long and almost ominous in the semidarkness. The carpeted hallway made her footsteps soundless, almost like she strolled on air.  The right side of the landing bore the ivory-white wall with spaced out, golden-framed portraits of breath-taking landscapes. At the opposite side was line of dark-brown wooden doors with elaborate doorknobs. She went to the first door and twisted the doorknob with the elaborate designs of what must be a variety of sports equipments. 

She slowly opened the door and peeked inside. The downstairs light seeped into the room, flashing the wall poster of a football player raising both his hands in victory with writing across him that Rachel couldn't read. She knew this must be Nathan's room. Inside, there were more posters, this time basketball players' posters and various sport banners. One specific, red banner slightly glowed in the darkroom. Removing her glare from the wall, the downstairs light showed Nathan enshrouded with his sport branded blanket.  Rachel could only see the back of his head as he was in a deep sleep. She raced toward his bed.

"Nathan, Nathan!" she whispered into his left ear. In a hasty yet tender manner she shook him. First, he twisted and turned away from her then he finally opened his eyes. Once he did so, he flinched; surprised to see a stranger in his room. He then realized who she was and asked Rachel, 

"What are you doing in my room? Why are you still here?" he said staring at her. His body was half-way up. He wore a navy blue pajama shirt. Rachel didn't know where to start; she totally understood why he behaved this way. If she was him, she would've reacted the same way.

"We need to get out of your house!" she whispered to him."Where's your sister's room?"

"What's going on?" he said loudly. Rachel then heard voices coming from downstairs. As Nathan was about to say something, she sealed his mouth with her hand. Nathan struggled to free his mouth but Rachel whispered for him to keep quiet and beckoned for him to listen to the voices downstairs. Nathan stopped struggling, although he didn't want to. Nathan assumed that Rachel might have a weapon on her, perhaps a knife, and might stab him if he didn't cooperate with her. He nodded his head at her, signaling he wouldn't utter a word.

Both Scott and Jay made it to the foyer. Their footsteps clinked against the immaculate, white marble floor. Scott kept talking to the agitated Jay,

"I told you not to give our supply without getting the money first," he said angrily. "All this is your fault and that chick paid the price. Now stop crying and let's go get whatever is in that safe."

"I'm sorry, man," Jay said, rocking his head in disbelief that all this was happening. He wholly agreed to what Scott had said.

"Sorry isn't going to keep us alive, Jay!" Scott replied, "Come on, let get this over with and then jet out." They both now arrived into the living room, heading back to the library room to open the safe.

Nathan heard bits and pieces of the two people's conversation. He knew for sure that they are about to break into his father's safe. When they could no longer hear their voices, Rachel gently let go of his mouth.