Chapter Seven: Dear Diary

Scott held the knife in a firm position to pierce through her chest. Rachel knew she had nowhere else to go. Her heart pounded fast as she thought of her family. She would never see them again. Rachel lifted her hands in fear as she saw him raise his knife in the air. As the knife came down full-bore, she screamed, "I know where the password is!"  Scott halted his knife from Rachel's chest in the nick of time.

"What?" Jay said as he looked at her.

"I know where the password could be!" Rachel panted, staring at Scott. He came closer to her, so close that Rachel smelled his sweaty armpit and his thin spearmint breath.

"Where is it?" he demanded.

"He told me that it's in Alicia's room," she said.

"How did you know?" Jay questioned her.

"He thought that I could make it to her room and go downstairs then open it but you guys were coming upstairs so I ran into the music room," she said. She hoped that this time she was more convincing to them.

"The kids might be there too," Jay said looking at Scott.

"Okay, to her room we go," Scott said as he seized Rachel's arm, forcing her to go along with him. Occasionally, she cried in pain as he wrenched her arms. Jay seemed to know where he was going as he went upstairs, and took to the left side of the hallway. They passed two doors that were opposite to each other, which Rachel remembered as the music room. When they reached the next two opposite doors, she didn't know what rooms they were. Jay took the door to the right and opened it. He flipped the switch on.

The room presented itself as a typical teenage girl's room. Around the wall were posters plastered with boy bands, male models, and rock stars. Her waterbed had a Victorian-like headboard, and it was covered with a purplish sheet. A little bit of her childhood memorabilia was on her dresser. Four or more stuffed teddy bears perched on it and each bear threw a threatening gaze at the three individuals that had trespassed into the room. Scott thrust Rachel against the bed and pointed at her with his knife,

"You better not get out of this room," he said, "Jay, make sure she doesn't, and keep watch of the door."

He turned to her. "Where is the password?"

Rachel, still by the bed said, "He told me that it's in her bedroom, she wrote it somewhere."

"You will help me look for it," he commanded.

"Watch for the kids too," Jay said.

They first searched for the kids in the room but didn't find them. Then they focused on searching for the password. They searched every book and everywhere that one would write something on. 

"Maybe she hid it in her teddy bears," Jay suggested. Scott went to a Cabbage Patch Kid doll, tore the head out and sliced out the body with his knife. The manner in which Scott ripped open each of the teddy bears made Rachel flinch. He flung each of them to the floor after he was done with it. Rachel went toward the restroom and was surprised to see that the kids weren't in there. She thought by this time, they would be at the safest place upstairs—as Rachel recalled Nathan telling her so. This was the only place that the button worked even if the system was shut down.