Chapter 1

Melones buzzes with an electric energy on this night—the eve of our journey to Briar College. The crew's all here, all my family and friends. To the world, I might seem like the poster child for confidence, but inside, it's a full-on storm of butterflies.

Dad's voice rises above the chatter. "Here's to our college-bound stars!" His glass pierces the air, as a fun night of celebration. Glasses join in a clink, the symphony of cheers. I sneak a glance at Mom; she's trying not to cry, but is holding it together. My fork plays with my salad, as I watch everyone. My Twin brother leans over to me. "You hanging in there, Hay?" Inside, i'm scared but i'm not about to tell him that and ruin the night, instead I smile and nod. "Yeah, I'm good." He studies me, he knows i'm lying but turns his attention to his best friend Austin, leaving me with my thoughts.

The Graham legacy has its spotlight—the hockey prodigy, my brother, with a full ride to Briar. No tryouts needed, not just because he's Garrett Graham's kid, but because he's got ice in his veins, sometimes even outshining Dad. 

Our family's practically a staple in the media thanks to Dad's legendary status, Boston Bruins and two Stanley Cups in tow, alongside Uncle Logan. A text dings on my phone—Emily, my bestie, is sitting across from me.

Emily: Brace yourself for the wild college ride—parties, romance, and pure craziness.

Me: Like you don't already own every post-game bash?

Emily: Guilty as charged! These irresistible assets of mine are hard to ignore.

Me: Ugh, spare me the visuals please.

I glance her way; she's smirking with, a wink like a secret code. Emily's sitting between Jamie and Aunt Grace. I'm praying that Aunt Grace at her phone. Thankfully, she doesn't, while Jamie, the big sister in our group, glances up from her phone with an exaggerated look of disgust. Jamie's a junior at Briar, and her love story with Greg is straight out of a rom-com, a love we all secretly want.

At least there's one good thing rooming with Emily, continuing a legacy started by our moms back in the day. But, gosh, can't people stop thinking I've got life all figured out just because I'm a Graham? Don't get me wrong—I love my life. Amazing friends, an unbeatable family, and front-row seats to my dad and brother's hockey heroics. It's just... complicated when you're expected to shine.

My uncle reaches for the check, but Dad beats him to it with a smirk. "On me," he insists. A silent nod passes between them, the understanding of years. The goodbyes roll around, though we'll see each other tomorrow. Still, I play my part, smiling and hugging my way through a room full of aunts and uncles who might not share blood, but sure share history.